PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I received a sample of Mac Barren Modern Virginia Loose Cut while doing some online tobacco shopping.

I checked reviews on tobaccoreviews and something surprised me.

There are 2 Modern Virginias. One is Modern Virginia Flake and the other one is "Loose Cut".

The description are similar, both from MacBarren.

The significant difference is the score.

The "regular" one has a 3.3 score, while the loose cut has a "2.6" score...
Does anyone have an explanation for that? It's the same tobacco. Only the cut is different.
TobaccoReviews - Modern VIrginia Flake
TobaccoReviews - Modern Virginia Loose Cut

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
On the smoking pipes website, it states:
"...The result is a natural, sweet tasting, loose cut tobacco with a topping of ripe fruit (noticeably richer and more present here compared to the flake version) ..."
So I guess people have a different reaction to not only the cut, but also the different amount of topping applied. Also the blend is fairly new, so I would not put to much trust in that averaged rating.
What did you think of the smoke? I gave my sample bags away after a couple of bowls, the pouch note was delicious, but I found the smoke to be unsatisfying.
Isaac

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Some people have tried the flake, but not the loose cut, or vice versa. Since people's tastes vary, so will the reviews for the reason I cited. Also, the flake seems to hold its flavor slightly better as less tobacco is exposed to air than is for the loose cut. And, I notice some people who got free sample pouches from Smoking Pipes didn't think it had that much flavor. Part of the reason is that it ages in the sealed tin while the pouches are air permeable. A few people got pouches where the tobacco was dry, and that had to affect some reviews.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I wasn't impressed with Modern Virginia at all. MacBaren Virginia #1 and Pure Virginia Flake are far, far better. Virginia#1 is very good, nutty and slightly sweet. I get the bulk version, which is quite tasty. The Pure Virginia Flake has a orange/citrus note that hangs on throughout the bowl.

I fixed the Modern Virginia that I had gotten by adding a little blending Perique. Just a small pinch, but it are a big difference.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Jim, though my expertise is limited I think you probably have something with the inherent difference between flake and loose tobacco. I also find flakes to be richer in flavor. And I would agree that the pouches are somewhat dry. I too have a pouch of the Loose Virginia with a recent purchase. While I find the tobacco to be a little dry, I still get a lot of flavours that Jim mentions in his review. By the by, thanks for those reviews. For guys like me who have smoked off and on for 15 years or so it forces me to examine what I'm smoking a little more carefully to find those flavours.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Meatballj: thank you for the compliments. I hydrated a pouch of the MV Loose Cut, and found it a better smoke once I did. It's better tinned or in bulk (bulk = flake, not Loose Cut).
Rigmedic: yeah, a little perique helps out a lot of blends, but then again, I love perique! :D

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You might see the "score" difference in a lot of

different blends with multiple presentations such as ready

rub, flake or plug. I think some of it can be attributed

to, for a lack of a better word, bias toward flakes and plugs.

Plugs and flakes do present a different flavor too though.

I enjoy Modern Virginia for

What it is, a mild, aromatic Virginia. Tobacco reviews are very subjective and not at based

based in fact sometimes. Some reviews are made after a pipeful. Some are made by folks who

abhor that particular type of tobacco. I have a couple of

Reviewers on the tobacco reviews.com site who's tastes seem to be

similar to mine. I put more stock in those reviews than others. BTW, I prefer Erinmore ready rub to the flake!

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.