PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, I just received my brand new Peterson Spigot in the mail today. I noticed that the cap is slightly loose on the end of the military mount on the pipe. It wiggles ever so slightly and lifts a hair. Should I send it back? Is this common? On the systems I have they are all pretty tightly on there. However, I bought the systems I have as estates...
Thoughts?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
If the pipe is to your liking other than the cap just pop it off and put a little glue under it.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Patience is not always one of my strong suits so if it is a viable option without damaging pipe or band I would take dochudson's route. Then I'd smoke the heck out of it! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would probably go with the glue too, but this is another question mark over quality control with Peterson. All of my Peterson pipes have been great, but I wish we didn't keep hearing about the disappointments. It doesn't encourage ordering a new Pete.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
To glue or not to glue ..... that is the question.
Being that it's a new pipe, I would contact the retailer and see if they would take it back and fix it or give you another. Since it has minimal wiggle room, you'd have to apply some sort of heat ( heat gun or small hair dryer ) to the shank cap as to get it off there, then glue it back on, without scorching off the finish or slopping glue all over. Perhaps they didn't put enough at the factory to withstand travel from Ireland to the distributor, sitting in inventory, travel from the distributor to the retailer, and shipment from the retailer to you.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I use Elmer's wood glue. Though I have never tried the cap, just when the silver bands come loose. I remove the band and clean the briar. Then I run the wood glue around and shank and reattach the band and quickly wipe off excess glue. Its worked so far on several pipes and the glue seems to hold up fine for everyday use and travel.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
After a few years, the silver cap on the stem side of my silver spigot came off. I put a little super glue on the end and haven't had trouble since. However, mrenglish's wood glue suggestion might work better on the briar end.

Status
Not open for further replies.