PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like Lanes has launched a pipe site with a forum, along with the several other pipe sites out there. I received a promotional email. I think it will be difficult to get a membership and keep it high enough priority in that large organization to keep it invigorated, moderated, and interesting. I've noticed that even some of the online retailers have a hard time maintaining, updating, and upgrading their retail sites. You either get and retain really good staff or the project stagnates. At this point, they just have to follow in Kevin's wake.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At this point, they just have to follow in Kevin's wake.
Pretty much. And they should follow his lead... anarchic, convivial forums rule and over-regulated ones become sterile.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just tried to register. It has a promo code field. They didn't send one in the email, but they are requiring it to register :rofl:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
MSO - you speak as if another pipe forum is a bad thing.
Is it "This Pipe Life"? I registered on it and didn't need any code or anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappymac, I don't think another pipe site and forum are a bad thing. I do think that they are not easy to do, and extremely difficult to do well. It's difficult to get members on somewhat the same page, so they are really reading and responding to each other and not just grabbing the megaphone. The most difficult balance is to let people express themselves and be somewhat creative and opinionated without lapsing into entirely venting and hostile exchanges. It requires really good technical people who are both expensive and tend to get hired away. It requires talented moderators who can moderate without being dictators, to the degree possible. Whether all this can happen a number of rungs down from the front office, in a large organization, is not clear. So, it's not a bad thing, just a difficult thing. I wish Lane well. I also meant to pass along a commendation to what we have here at pipesmagazine without getting into too much gooey flattery.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
From the look of This Pipe Life, Scandinavian has hired staffers to maintain the forum and act as moderators. It's still in its infancy but it growing.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I'm registered, but the site doesn't seem all that active yet. I'm sure things will pick up as more members get registered though.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
So it's not a forum but only another sales tool

Yeah, and it was a pain in the ass to register on the site but I got junk mail with a dollar off RYO cigarette tobacco coupon. 8O

I will give STG/Lane Ltd props for not labeling the RYO tobacco "pipe tobacco"!
What's the link to the site ?

https://thispipelife.com/gate/

Status
Not open for further replies.