PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I'm looking to get my second meerschaum pipe. My price range is $100-150. I'm looking at IMP pipes. Do they color well? Anyone have experience with IMP?

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I just snagged one from smoking pipes about a week ago. There were only 3 left at the time and I didn't realize more shapes were coming in. I think for the price if you see one you like jump on it. I haven't smoked mine yet, the bowl is so deep that I haven't had enough time to dedicate a sit-down with it yet.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Went ahead and bought this beauty: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=174019
Does anyone have experience coloring IMPs? I'd love to see some photos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke mine twice a day on the weekends. Got it about three weeks ago, and the heel and shank are a light golden brown so far.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Here's one for you.
img_0408-600x400.jpg

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
In my experience, the coloring process for each, individual meerschaum pipe is unpredictable. There are many factors to consider, and some can't be known until the pipe is smoked. You can have 50 IMP pipes, for example, and 50 smokers smoking them with different frequency and different tobaccos ... and they will probably color in 50 ways. OR, you can buy 50 IMP pipes, smoke them in rotation, and they will also probably exhibit unique coloring attributes.
But to answer your question, generally yes, IMP meerschaum do color well :)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Mine so far.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/16239

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
Yes, my experience is that IMPs color well. I have one and haven't smoked it in a while and it is darker than most my other meerschaums that are even more expensive. I was thinking of getting another myself.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Killer looking pipe, rottingcorpse. Pics have been a challenge for me but will post a number of them soon. I hope to get into it over the holiday. I have a gorgeous Bison somewhere and cannot find it! I thought it would have turned up by now, hope some guy in a hotel somewhere is not enjoying a free Bison meer :roll:

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thank you all for the information and assistance. Beautiful pipe, Ember. The one I purchased is an apple too.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I smoke mine twice a day on the weekends. Got it about three weeks ago, and the heel and shank are a light golden brown so far.
That is some pretty impressive coloring for 3 wks.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Cortez. I think I did too. I have a question if any of you know, will it affect the coloring negatively if I don't fill the bowl up all the way every single smoke? The bowl is generously-sized, and sometimes I might not fill the bowl all the way up. Just wondering if this will make the bowl color unevenly or not? Thanks again, everyone.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I get three day weekends, so I've smoked mine between 18 or 20 times. Have mostly smoked Irish Oak in it, and can generally get a seventy minute smoke out of it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Tried to do the two week smoking process for coloring, but the nic hit off of a bowl that big is overwhelming!

Status
Not open for further replies.