Looking to build a sampler for new smokers.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I have several friends who I have introduced to pipe smoking, but not all are local. I offered to send them some samples from my stash but since its a good excuse to buy some more tobacco, I decided to order some just for this purpose.
So what would you put in a sampler specifically designed to introduce new smokers to the various tobacco types? Sort of representatives of the type.
I figure I can break up the tins into smaller amounts and send or hand them out, unless there is already something like this available.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My answer would depend on whether the recipient had any prior experience with tobacco.
That said, for someone new to pipe tobacco:
VaPer: Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Virginia: Dunhill Royal Yacht

VaBur: Orlik Golden Sliced

English: Balkan Sasieni

Burley: Sir Walter Raleigh

Oriental: Stokkebye Turkish

Aromatic: Savinelli Cavendish

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Dunhill MM965

McClelland 5100

Solani Aged Burley Flake

DanTobac Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

Lane 1Q
That should every palate category. Save perique after they figure out which type they want to dive head first into.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Psych that is absolutely a spot on idea. A pipe nail and couple pipe cleaners wouldn't hurt either.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've introduced one brother so far to pipes, and now he's got the carving bug. He doesn't smoke. Another brother got a Legend, and some Newminster superior slices, ultimate english, some pa, and a cavendish based aro I got from a B&M that's very tasty.

Haven't heard a word since from him.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm very much a newbie and my absolute favorites thus far are Escudo and Master Penman. These would've sold me on pipes. For a newbie, the Escudo coins make it easy to learn how much tobacco to use, a sort of serving size. Easy to repeat.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I would go with the advice trailboss gave you as it makes a lot of sense.
As for tobacco recommendations that is a never ending ad nauseam subject/question that is brought up on a weekly basis in one form or another and you'll get hundreds of suggestions. When all is said and done, and trying to digest the never ending plethora of tobaccos that people recommend, you'll more likely than not be back to square one. JMHO :wink:

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, these are people who currently own and smoke pipes,some I have given them, others they have inherited or bought. While taste is obviously subjective, I'm looking for examples of type rather than "good stuff to try." Many of the samplers available focus on a theme, so aren't really going to achieve my goal. This is so guys I have already gotten started on pipes can say "I like X, but Y wasn't really my thing." and I can say "OK, so you like Latakia. Here are some others I can recommend."
Basically, good clean examples of core styles.
I'm going through my stash and I already have several of the ones mentioned, so I'll hand off some tonight. I don't usually need an excuse to smoke, but I might have to finish off a few tins tonight since I don't like having too many open at the same time. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.