PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Does anyone know of any U.K. tobacconists who will sell tobacco to U.S.-based customers? Every search I've done comes up empty. (Sometimes you have to dig to find out that they'll ship everything but tobacco to the States. But MySmokingShop, Gauntley's, Smoke-King -- none of them seem to be able to do it.)
My Smoking Shop in the UK claims that it's due to credit-card restrictions and that they're happy to "work something out." But my inquiries about what that might mean/entail -- sent via the Contact Us form on their Web site -- have gone unanswered.
I've ordered from the Swiss company Synjeco in the past with success. But they don't carry some of the blends I'm looking for -- and the UK retailers do.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Of course anyone based in the U.K. who would be willing to be my personal shopper is invited to apply! :)
Thanks!
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hey Bob, I live in Canada and tried ordering from My Smoke Shop in the UK. They sent me the package, but customs ate it up and it never arrived. My Smoke Shop reimbursed my money, but would not ship again. I assume this would be the reason as there is no free trade agreement, and tobacco products tend to disappear at the boarder. To maintain good customer services, the retailer should refund money for lost shipments, which they did. But I can see that costing a lot of money if it happens on a regular basis.
This is just my opinion, and I cannot say if it is acurate or not, but it makes sense to me.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I was about to suggest my longtime provider www.uktobacco.com then i read that they have stopped shipping to the USA. Though I would suggest sending them a email, Chris who runs everything there seems to be a great guy who is only willing to help.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, pipeherman, but, even if they were somehow able to sell to me, UKTobacco doesn't seem to stock what I'm looking for. I did send a note, though, to see if the blends I'm wanting could be specially ordered and, if so, if they could actually be sold to me in the first place!
Bob

May 31, 2012
The best strategy is to have a UK trading partner, but postal rates get a bit pricey.
In fact, obtaining UK baccy is $$$ in most cases.
I've used Mr.Snuff with great success,

https://mistersnuff.com/catalog/pipe-tobacco-c-168.html

to get my beloved Warrior Plug and St. Bruno,

but at an average of $20 per 50g pouch, it'll add up quick!
I also think that James Fox of Dublin will ship Stateside,

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_8&zenid=56a33a8214747d52853d431e9f24e0fa

and he's got some Ireland-market-only choices, like Maltan Flake or Condor Plug.
What baccy were you interested in particularly?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"What baccy were you interested in particularly?"
I'm especially interested in the bulk J. F. Germain blends that aren't available in the States. I've thoroughly enjoyed everything I've had from that blender and would really like to work my way through their entire range. And I think the fact that they're not sold here at all just makes me want to try them more!
Unfortunately, neither Mr. Snuff nor James Fox carries the Germain blends. It seems that the shops that do are the ones who won't sell to the States; the ones that don't are happy to trade with us. :(
Bob

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Unfortunately, neither Mr. Snuff nor James Fox carries the Germain blends. It seems that the shops that do are the ones who won't sell to the States; the ones that don't are happy to trade with us. :(
I'm pretty sure that is intentional :rofl:

May 31, 2012
Ah, yes.
I've been wanting to get my hands on that stuff too!
http://cigars.gauntleys.com/product5467-j-f-germain-rich-dark-flake-500g-loose
Alternative,

get a Canuck partner to order it for you!

$$$ or trades may interest someone.
Maybe we could set up a group buy with a Canadian pipeman being the final distributor?

We could all donate extra $$$ to make the whole ordeal more appealing?
But as noted by northernneil,

Canada customs seem to be game-killers...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've conversed with several store managers in the UK about why they will not ship to the US. They all thought that it was because it was illegal (on their side of the pond) to do so. Not so, I discovered. The culprit lies in the Tobacco Settlement. The UK credit card processors (and/or their attorneys) are scared shirtless that they would become a "responsible party" if they facilitate tobacco sales to the US. And since retail tobacco sales to the US represents an almost unmeasurable percentage of their activity they have chosen to not allow it. Further, they have informed their customers that there will be severe penalties if they attempt to circumvent the tobacco transaction ban. Thusly, store managers and employees have been told by their superiors that tobacco sales to the US are illegal. My guess is that all the lawyers that represent tobacconists went to the same law conference and attended the same workshop on The Tobacco Settlement, and got the same bad advice. After that, everyone falls in line and doesn't question why they can't freely sell their products. Nobody seems willing to buck the system and find a way around the card processors, even with the lure of money from tobacco-crazed Americans.
Now, I'm not one to pass judgement on other cultures (OK, maybe I am), but it seems to me that most of the EU governments have beaten the creative, risk-taking, entrepreneurial spirit out of their subjects citizens. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've experienced in dealing with Europeans (in business, travel and as family)over the past 25 years or so. The status quo seems to be to buckle under and do as you are told. Go along to get along.
This, of course, is a great shame, as Europeans also have an exquisite eccentricity that has given the world some of it's best food, beer, tobacco and design, to name just a few of my favorite things.
But if you really wish to enjoy Germain's products, I can think of no better way to do so than to take a trip to Jersey, and enjoy Nirvana in situ.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Woodsroad, you have to take the history of the European inhabitants into account. They were suppressed since the Roman Empire. First from the Romans, then from the Huns, and lastly by monarchies guided by the church. Every revolution, which turned over one tyrant, just was replacing him by another one, or a group of other ones. If you ever wondered, why the Europeans shake their head without understanding on the US gun carrying discussions: The last time, Europeans were allowed to freely carry arms was before they were conquered by the Roman Empire.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’m not sure what you expect British tobacconists to do about the restrictions

There is a lot that could be done. Lobbying lawmakers; form a trade group and seek alternate card services; educate lawmakers and financial services folks on US law.
Yes, high prices severely limit the attractiveness of importing from the UK. But those high prices are not a natural occurrence, they are due to UK taxes. Unfortunately, Brits have accepted the outrageous tax structure imposed on them. Sure, it is just a symptom of (and necessitated by) larger governmental and societal failures, but it has strangled both the internal and export economy of the UK.
Imagine if buying products from the UK was as easy for US consumers as buying from China? The UK could quadruple exports, quadruple production, quadruple jobs in the export economy, etc., etc., etc.
But, frankly, the UK has dug a very deep hole, and getting out of it may not be possible.
The US, though, is not far behind.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
This is just one good example of why pipe clubs are essential. Organized pipe smokers can provide services like exchanging tobacco products by post in a fun, economical way. Responsibility is not borne by one individual, and the benefits of the scheme are shared by friends.
Just a few months ago, the New York Pipe Club received a nice package from Edinburgh, and reciprocated with the American brands requested by the Scots. A win-win. (Evidently, they are excited by Captain Black! It is unavailable there.)
Jay

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That is a good idea, briarfriar. There is talk of a pipe club starting up here in Columbus, so now we would just need to find an affiliate club in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.