PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've notice a lot of you finding old meerschaums that have that beautiful look to the meer of golden and brown and look well cared for. I could use some help in which direction to go to find them and then knowing what makes a good one.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've purchased all of my meers, seven in all, in person at various dealers. Each was in pristine condition, snowy white and the colors, and depth of such, they variously exhibit is the result of my smoking and caring for them.
Just an observation and I am sorry I can't be of help in securing used meerschaums. I might suggest yard sales and the like. Possibly pipe stores which deal in used and antiques. And, of course the ubiquitous eBay and the like.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
There are many beautiful and intricate old meerschaum estate pipes. Several have tempted me mightily, but I am more leery of estate meers than I am of estate briars. Of those that have tempted me too many have had heavy cakes (a real no-no for meers) or have had parts of the carving worn/broken away. The pipes that would have tempted me but did not were missing stems or had damaged mortise/tenon issues. The takeaway, in my humble opinion, is that estate meers are best bought in person.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
buroak makes a good point I overlooked. Meerschaum is fragile, more so than briar. Only buying in person is good advice, or from a vendor with a liberal, and proven so, return policy. Also, a meer with cake indicates other misuse by the original owner is very probable.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Once in a blue moon I dispose of unwanted meerschaums but everything I dump on the market is the plain undecorated variety. One or two of the forum guys clean up and sell meerschaums and it might be worth a post in the For Sale/Wanted section as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If you like carved pipes then that ones a beauty. I am curious how old it is as the case has a total lack of markings. If its got the bone tenion with serviceable threads you will find that Tim West can usually work miracles as well as the guy at Briarville who is something of a genius when it come to these types of pipes and both are very reasonable in terms of pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.