PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I have been smoking a pipe for over two or three years now, but I think that still qualifies me as a beginner. I have always enjoyed aromatics and classic American tobaccos (Carter Hall, Half and Half, etc.), but now I am looking to get into some English and Oriental blends. I got some John Bull "Royal English" and to put it nicely we didn't really hit it off. I blending it about 40/50 with some Sutliff Chocolate Supreme and topped it off with some Mac Baren Symphony (I know it sounds crazy, but it turned out fantastic). I would love to get some nicer blends that won't leave me resenting Latakia or Perique.
Suggestions would be much appreciated!

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
On the Oriental side I'd suggest:

McClelland's 2045 (bulk)it's a straight Oriental blend.

You may also want to sample their 2040 (bulk) which is much the same as 2045 but with a bit of Cyprian Latakia.

Of course, any of McClelland's Grand Orientals would fit here.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome!
I'm a fan of lighter Englishes personally.
I LOVE Lane's Leo. Very mild, and the taste seems to be in the Orientals>Virginia>Latakia order.

I also really enjoyed Dunhill's Early Morning pipe. It's another I restock.

Chelsea Morning by GL Pease is also top notch in my book. Somehow it's got this creaminess to the smoke, almost like coffee and cream with just a touch of sweetness.

McCelland's Jubilee is a sleeper tobacco in my opinion. Sweet, plummy, smokey, and sour. It really changes it's flavor as you smoke through the bowl.
I've tried a bunch more, but these are all tobaccos I have/will repurchase in the future.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think I'll echo the Dunhill My Mixture 965. It's a full-bodied blend -- not a "light" English -- but it's tempered a bit with the addition of cavendish.
You might also enjoy -- although I did not -- Butera's Royal Vintage: Latakia No. 2. IMO, the Latakia No. 1 is a much better blend, but that's because the #2 felt way too light for me. So it may be just what you're looking for.
Of course, this is the kind of thread where lots of folks will suggest Frog Morton. I would suggest, instead, Frog Morton on the Town. It has much less latakia, and I like how the orientals in the mix give the whole blend a sensation of lightly sweet vanilla. (It's definitely an English blend, though.)
Finally, McClelland's Anniversary is not a typical English blend -- being just Virginias and latakia, with no other orientals -- but it is an absolutely fantastic, drool-worthy smoke, in my opinion. It may help you cross over.
Bob

burns

Lurker
Jan 23, 2014
I'm going echo the frog mortons cellar, its fantastic. I have also been looking for something a little different, so I will try some of y'alls suggestions.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Great suggestions. Thanks all. There is a local store that carries most of these so I'll have to put some on my "shopping list".

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm the same as you JM in that I'm just venturing into English blends. EMP is very nice but probably my favourite to date has been Sutliff Blend No5. Its on the lighter side but delivers that creaminess from the latakia.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Frog Mortons as others have mentioned, Dunhill London Mix, Squadron Leader, many of the GL Pease blends. Or just skip the middle man and go straight to Nightcap/Billy Budd/Star of the East/Pirate Kake ;)

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
For a wonderful light English I would highly recommend both McClelland's Bombay Court which is a delightful oriental forward blend with a very small amount of latakia and some very rich Virginias. This is a sleeper blend that I can not understand is not more popular. The second blend for a newer smoker is an old favorite of mine blended by Samual Gawith Squadron Leader. This English blend can be smoked all day and really is delightfully rich and easy to smoke.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I would highly recommend both McClelland's Bombay Court"
Thanks for the reminder! I love a lot of McClelland blends, and this one has always sounded right up my alley. Just never got around to ordering it. Yet.
Bob

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
As already mentioned, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Frog Morton on the Town. I also like 4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher: some latakia but not a lot and a good smoke. But you have to order from 4 Noggins - not this is a bad thing, they have great service.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I recommend the Dunhill 965 indubitably. Also Newminister English Oriental gets top marks in my book for an great English blend, it's sweet and smokey with a peppery kind of flavour, enough to keep you interested, it's a blend I just keep smoking. Also Newminister English Luxus.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme is a great "first" English, as it contains cavendish. You, coming from aros, would appreciate the sweet overtone...I did!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Just buy anything from G.L. Please with latakia in it.
Seriously, the guy doesn't make a blend that isn't out of this world.
You'll find he's worth the price.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'll throw in a bid for Frog Morton's Cellar, too; even though I haven't had it. It was just the most popular blend of 2013 is all, I imagine. Also, a vote for 965 because it's the classic, classic English blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.