PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Hello All, I'm looking for a new tobacco. I want an all day reliable smoke. What I'm looking for is something like Orlik Golden Slice, but sweeter as a little milder. Not as sweet as 1Q, and not as mild as something like CH or PA. I don't much like burley anyways. So I guess what I'm looking for is a mild-strong virginia that has some sweetness to it, but not overpowering. My tongue gets worn out when I smoke OGS all day. Any thoughts?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend Astleys 109 as it is a mild all day smoke that is nice and sweet. I am not a fan of fresh OGS as for my tastes it is too grassy. After a dozen years or so it loses the grassy component and really shines.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
My favorite is "Gettysburg" by the Old Virginia Tobacco Co. (Old Virginia Tobacco Co.). It's a mild Virginia/Black Cavendish blend with a refreshing taste and a pleasant aroma. It's a rather cool smoking blend and I've never had any problem myself with tongue bite from this blend.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
I bought some mixture flake from Macbaren (only thing my store had out of all your suggestions) and love it! I'm starting to love flakes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perhaps McClelland 5100 Virginia Red Cake sold in bulk. You can also mix this with other tobaccos to give

a change of pace.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
C@D Bayou Morning Flake or for a bit stronger flake Kajun Kake . I have a four year old tin of the Kajun Kake open now and it is a delight to smoke .Tin description (A crumble cake of red Virginia Cavendish and a little Perique ).Red Virginia always adds a touch of spice and not so much of the boring fresh mowed dry grass with a touch of honey taste .And being that the blend is Cavendish ,mellows it out .As a plus it come in plugs inside the tin so you can rub it to your own consistency of choosing .

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Luxury Twist Flake by Peter Stokkebye. Similar to OGS but slightly milder and a good bit sweeter. Inexpensive to boot.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
McConnell Scottish Cake is a nice Virginia with just a hint of Perique and a touch of Kentucky.
It has that figgy / raisin note, not the citrus / grass tones.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'd say Mac Baren Mixture Flake pretty well fits the bill. Some others to try would be Peterson University Flake, Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake (already mentioned), Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake, and Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake.

The Bullseye is a Va/Per with a black cavendish center. The Perique in it gives it a nice, slightly sweet, stewed fruit taste which is (IMO) enhanced by the cavendish.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
youngster, while you have received many worthy suggestions, you really need to try the Astleys 109, it is so mild and sweet that it is very unique. Since you are new to this site, you don't know that when I make a suggestion, people listen( EF Hutton reference). If for some reason you really don't love it, I will buy it from you with shipping, how is that for a guarantee?

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Capstan Gold Flake might work for you as well. Enjoying some now made me remember this post. Quality sweet and mild VA flake. I recommend you cube cut these VA flakes then dry them 10-15 minutes to get the best burn and flavor from them. And puff slowly to avoid tongue fatigue. Good luck!

mrsilkysheets

Lurker
Apr 5, 2014
OGS was my first endeavor into virgina's & flakes... I have found that dunhill flake is on the milder end of the spectrum and the SG flakes to be on the other. I am really excited to try the stokkebye(thank you rsuninv) flakes & twists
I have found that my favorite smoke when I want something with a little more body than OGS is Three Nuns

Status
Not open for further replies.