PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I lucked out and found an estate Dunhill at an antique store, and I am in need of someone to restore it. Although I am no Dunhill expert, I believe it is a Vernon Patent. Anyone on here do restorations and/or can anyone recommend a good restorer? My main concern is the white dot. The stem is missing the dot, but the hole is there. I would like this beauty to look as good as it should. It is (conservatively) very beat up but not unsalvageable. I've been told GeorgeD does some excellent work...paging GeorgeD...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Zero, a thread of interest,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rare-vernon-dunhill-1935-re-stem

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I will certainly reach out to George. Here are some photos:
xzTa55t.jpg

BGO6cZn.jpg

FYyHeI4.jpg

FJBzsnM.jpg

NYeNsa0.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Definitely a Vernon tenon, and from what I understand the rarer of the two styles. Great find!! You definitely want GeorgeD.
I'll post a picture of my Dunhill with Vernon tenon, it's the more common version, for comparison.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Thanks, everyone. I'm looking forward to getting it fixed up so I can say I finally smoked a Dunhill. Ash, I'd love to see your Vernon. I just reached out to George.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Definitely not a zero, Zerohunter. (looks like you'll have to change your name, now) :lol:
I'm conflicted, here. I haven't accepted in any new work for a while as part of my RTBTITT campaign (reduce the backlog to improve turnaround time); but I wouldn't want to be indirectly responsible for that cool old pipe getting jacked if it happened to end up in the hands of someone whose intention exceeded his ability, either. No re-wind buttons, and all that. It is a truly rare pipe.
So. Since it doesn't need a new stem---the biggest time-eater---but just cleaning & related, and my first loyalty is the the PipeWorld itself, it seems that an exception is called for.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:
I'll PM you my address.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Way to go George. I don't think making this exception to the RTBTITT campaign will lead to any TITSUP*. :wink:
*Total Inability To Support Usual Performance

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Zerohunter, here's my Patent Dunhill Shell Pot (1933) with Vernon Tenon. As you can see my tenon goes into the shank in a traditional manner, so to speak. Yours goes into the stem.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Ash, yours looks awesome! I had never seen a Vernon tenon, let alone one where the tenon is connected to the stummel. I honestly thought the pipe was broken or the stinger was jammed. Georged, I'm messaging you back pronto. And yes, I will post a thread with the final result. I can't wait to smoke this bad boy!

laearl

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Alabama
Nice find!!
That is particularly awesome of you GeorgeD :worship:
Don't ask what he paid for it... the truth is over @ reddit/r/PipeTobacco. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.