Looking for some gourmet coffee for my better half.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I am looking for a online retailer that sells gourmet coffee. She loves to try new coffee. She loves dark roast coffee. I am looking for opinions on some online gourmet coffee sites that some of my fellow pipers may have used and blends that they may recommend. My better half is into coffee like I am into baccy. I would really like to surprise her with a gourmet blend that she has not tried TIA. :puffy:

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
http://www.americanprideroasters.com I've tried the George Washington, Teddy Roosevelt and George Whitfield. Whitfield is outstanding. It is an African and my most favorite. The other two were very good as well.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I have yet to try some Kopi Luwak

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/kopi-luwak-whole-bean-coffee-bag-medium-roast-bean-pack-of-1/231093999.html?listingId=217836644&sclid=pla_google_Tradecozone&adid=29963

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
She may want to try buying organic green coffee beans and learning how to roast them at home. There is no looking back, best coffee on the planet. I roast and grind my own and use a French Press machine to brew the black nectar of the gods.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
www.klatchroasting.com is excellent.

Kola, how do you roast your beans ? This is something I've wanted to get into for awhile, just haven't decided on how I want to roast them.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Best one yet is Gocoffeego.com
A variety of artesian roasters. Two day delivery. My favorite is Klatch Coffee Roasters.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
OP,
The correct gourmet coffee for her will really depend on what type of coffee drinks she likes and how she brews it. Does she like light roast or dark roast? Does she take the easy way and brew drip coffee or does she brew in a French press or vac pot? Does she like espresso based drinks like espresso, lattes or cappuccinos? Ice coffee in the summer? Does she have an espresso machine? All these things should be considered when determining what she might like, and it will become apparent just like it is in tobacco, there will be more than one answer.

Aug 1, 2012
You have to call to order since it is a bit of an old-school operation but the Colorado Coffee Company has some truly nice blends available.
http://coloradocoffeecompany.com/whoweare.htm
Alternatively, you could contact a roaster and have them roast a custom batch for her. I never would have thought of that option before moving here but that is the only way I can get coffee darker than a medium roast. Whatever you go with, I hope it is a great experience.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
If getting tongue bite trying leaving the coffee out to dry out a little longer.
It is all in how the coffee is packed into the machine. I use the three step method.
It is really hard find a coffee machine that doesn't gurgle. They are out there, but takes a keen eye to distinguish them from the other turd coffee makers flooding the market.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good local roasters (local to central N.C.) who sell online include Muddy Dog, Larry's Beans, and Counter Culture, all in the RTP area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). Just Google them by name for links. These outfits know what they're doing and ship all over the U.S. and beyond. Some of them send reps to buy the beans from the growers.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Sorry I should have been more clear. She likes dark roast and goes the easy route with drip brew. Thank you for all the suggestions so far. :puffpipe:

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Lonestar, I use a heat gun with the beans in a stainless steel dog bowl and stir with a wooden spoon. There are precise directions which are easy to find via the internet. I have heard roasting them in a popcorn popper is much easier though.
Best coffee ever, man.
hijack off..my apologies

Mar 7, 2015
My roommate is really into coffee. He even dabbles in roasting and all that. I'm more into pipes, he's more into coffee, but we both appreciate each other's passions.
He's a big fan of everything from Death Wish Coffee Co., the strong dark blends may be what you're looking for. Plus, the name is wild. http://www.deathwishcoffee.com/
He's also a fan of Philz Coffee, but I've only had one roast (Tesora) so I can't fully endorse it. It was a great coffee though. Worth a try? http://www.philzcoffee.com/

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Op, Target sells starbucks single origins collection which you might want to try if you haven't already. Beyond that there are a lot of artisan roasters out there. Most coffee they sell will be listed by origin rather than roast color (i.e. dark roast) so you'll have to read through some descriptions to get a sense of what you think she'll like.
Intelligentsia

Terrior Coffee

Barismo
are all good options
as is
Sweet Maria's
Re: home roasting....check out Sweet Maria's. Tons of information on the why's and wherefore's of roasting.
I've been roasting with a popcorn popper for years. It's cheap, easy, fun and very capable.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Coffee truly is amazing stuff. Having spent six years in Asia, I have tried many different teas but none of them has the appeal of coffee. I bought a grinder a while ago and that opened my eyes. As for the idea that filtered coffee is somehow easier or less tasty, I disagree. I feel a cafetiere often tends towards a certain muddiness and love the cleanliness of a nicely filtered cup. Home-roasting instinctively feels like a better way to do it, but I don't think this is necessarily true. As long as you follow the rule of fifteens, you should be ok. Fifteen weeks from roasting to grinding, fifteen minutes from grinding to brewing. I think I've got that right. I love the fact that the rule of seventies applies to tobacco; 70 degrees at 70 percent humidity equals indefinite storage for tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.