PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I was hooked and in love with this blend from the first bowl. I have a couple extra tins and will get a few more to cellar for future use. I'm not so much worried about aging as I am simply having it on hand when I want it.
That being said, I'm looking for blends with "similar" profiles. I'm not looking for exact or a replacement. I have a tin of SPC's regular PP but haven't tried it yet. The SR blend stuck a chord with me and I'd like to see what else is out there. Who knows, I may find something I like even more. Plus, it's nice to have options.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can see the similarity in Dreams of Kadath and thanks to saltedplug I'm fairly stocked up on it.
I have a tin of White Knight but haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll pop it open this weekend.
I have Penzance on my list of "if it ever gets back in stock"...
Gaslight is talked of highly here so I'll be getting a tin of it soon.
Thanks guys.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I do not think DOK is remotely like PP... Reserve or otherwise. The Kentucky sits in the background of DOK unlike the Latakia in PP. They are both fantastic and DOK is a favorite.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They both share Cavendish, Virginia and Perique. They're both deep, rich blends. He asked for some things that were somewhat similar in order to branch out and try some different blends. I would think nobody would confuse the two in a blind taste test but they're similar enough to recommend he try it. Besides that, I like them both and think they're both good blends.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
They're both deep, rich blends. He asked for some things that were somewhat similar in order to branch out and try some different blends. I would think nobody would confuse the two in a blind taste test but they're similar enough to recommend he try it.
That's a great point Hoosier. I think we often try to match flavor in a blend, but often we need to reconsider and instead match body or depth or "experience" in blends. For example, HH Burley Flake is now one of my favorite blends and it is, for me, a match to Stonehaven in regard to overall experience. I would be happy with either when I want to smoke a deep, rich, dark flake with body.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
They're both deep, rich blends. He asked for some things that were somewhat similar in order to branch out and try some different blends. I would think nobody would confuse the two in a blind taste test but they're similar enough to recommend he try it.
That's a great point Hoosier. I think we often try to match flavor in a blend, but often we need to reconsider and instead match body or depth or "experience" in blends.
This^^^ plus I'm not trying to match the blend. If I feel like smoking this blend, I'll smoke this blend. If I want something in the direction of this blend but different, DOK is a great choice. And now I have a few more options.
For example, I enjoy a particular Mexican restaurant a lot but I get tired of going to the same place all the time so it's nice to have something different. Luckily Vegas has plenty of great Mexican restaurants and I can have something similar but different anytime I feel like it. If that makes any sense.
I can understand wanting to "match" a blend if the blend is going away but otherwise it would be boring to have several of basically the same blend just with different names.

Status
Not open for further replies.