PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Since picking up my first pipe over 3 years ago I've sampled about 50+ different tobacco blends and have recently started to get a good sense of my preferences. Currently my favorite blends are: GL Pease Gaslight, Irish Flake, Old Dark Fired (flake), Revor Plug, McConnell's Latakia Flake, Tabac Manil Semois, C&D Pegasus - and am wondering if you esteemed and experienced forum members can recommend other blends based on my stated preferences. I'm not a fan of aromatics and tend to get bit by bright virginias. Thanks very much in advance.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks, aquadoc. Billy Budd is in my regular rotation but I have yet to check those other blends. I'll add them to my list!

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@folanator, I suspected I would like Sansepolcro and have a tin stashed away! What would you liken it to?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
If you like Irish Flake, you might also like Peterson's Perfect Plug and Samuel Gawith' Lakeland Dark.

If you like Old Dark Fired, you might like Bold Kentucky.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@cigrmaster - DSK and Solani ABF are in my top ten. I will certainly try 660.

@workman - 3P's is another favorite of mine along with Mick McQuaid and Warrior Plug. How would you compare Bold Kentucky to ODF? Is it stronger? ODF is about as strong a tobacco as I can enjoy.
Thank you both!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Currently my favorite blends are: GL Pease Gaslight, Irish Flake, Old Dark Fired (flake), Revor Plug, McConnell's Latakia Flake, Tabac Manil Semois, C&D Pegasus
With the current world opinion of tobacco, you may wish to collect a few pounds of your favorites before proceeding. That being said, Bold Kentucky is deeper and richer than ODF.
To add to your interests:

Sixpence

Meridian

Balkan Supreme

Stirling Flake

Marlin Flake

Salty Dogs

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want to explore the Semois burley theme a little, Cosmic and jiminks recently put me onto Daughters and Ryan Two Timer, from Kenly N.C. with a Smithfield P.O. box, but available through PC and others. The Two Timer regular is two twice-toasted burleys. I bought a pound, and I'm glad to have it.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@chasingembers - thanks for the suggestions. Are you saying my favorite blends are on the chopping block if the tobaccapocalypse hits?
@mso489 - Daughters and Ryan has never been on my radar but if you, Cosmic, and jiminks suggest Two Timer, I feel it is a must for me. Much appreciated!
Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on Mad Fiddler and Dreams of Kadath?
Thanks all for your insight!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are you saying my favorite blends are on the chopping block if the tobaccapocalypse hits?
Gaslight and ODF are for sure, but when they say there's a limit, I'm not buying it. Too much anti smoking propaganda.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@crashthegrey - thanks for that. I know those blends are hard to beat. Just trying to leave no stone unturned.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
I assume you tried HH Latakia Flake? If you take that list and mix it together that what it would probably taste like.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@foursidedtriangle - I do have some HH Latakia Flake and enjoy it on occasion. It’s a mild, pleasant smoke but not as rich and flavorful as McConnell’s Latakia Flake which I highly recommend.
@lastango - I have a tin of Key Largo in one of my shopping carts and am looking forward to comparing it to Billy Budd which is a blend I really enjoy. I have tried Hyde Park and didn’t love it. I suspect it was the bright Virginias. My body chemistry just doesn’t tolerate them, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.