Tags:  No tags yet. 

Looking for Pipe Repair Shop Contact Info - charred pipe chamber

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by geopiper
  • Latest reply from instymp
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

I recall seeing the names of a few repair shops referenced in pipe repair threads here but I can't seem to locate them now. Can someone provide some references, please?

My estate pipe has a charred/burnt chamber and I'd like to repair it with pipe mud/cement and finish it off with a carbon coating. I'd like to attempt this myself, however, I'm also considering sending it to an expert. I'd like to contact a repairman and discuss this.

thanks.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After reading several good reviews and seeing their/his work, I've sent a pipe off to Ric at Briarville.

briarville

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As Mike stated, Briarville. I have 4 in there at this moment. Link for Briarville

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

George Dibos has done this exact repair for me on several vintage pipes. He uses a silicate coating of his devising that works great. He's also a member here, so you can contact him via pm.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both references are top notch.

Could you please post photos showing the chamber?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

geopiper

Login to Send PM

This is how the pipe looked when I got it. I have since applied a coating to the interior of powdered sugar mixed with water then smoked it numerous time to try to build up the cake. I'm still not satisfied with the interior geometry of the shank-side chamber wall because it had lost material due to reaming and was charred. I'd like to determine if it is possible to "rebuild" the interior with pipe mud/cement to re-establish a proper geometry.

(first time posting pics...let's see what happens)

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Pipe mud is a less robust approach than either silicate or pipe cement. Any way that you decide to go about it, it's important to smoke very slowly, such that the bowl isn't getting too warm during the smoke while you build up that cake. You don't want to overheat an already structurally compromised surface while you build up a heat insulator.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A paste of Carbon dust (activated carbon) and Sour Cream (makes the carbon dust adhere and burns off/carbonizes when smoked).

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another method to get carbon coating the walls is to wet the chamber, fill it with granulated sugar. Pour out. Let it dry. Load very carefully so as to not disturb the coating. Smoke gently and fully. This will build a strong bit of cake. Repeat as necessary.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Another method to get carbon coating the walls is to wet the chamber, fill it with granulated sugar. Pour out. Let it dry. Load very carefully so as to not disturb the coating. Smoke gently and fully. This will build a strong bit of cake. Repeat as necessary."

Cool.
    Never heard that one.
    Learn something every day.
    I remember honey, grape jelly yada yada.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, pipestud, tuold, sholto, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker, cshubhra, ormazd, cigrmaster