PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Hello everyone I’m not new to pipe smoking just new to this sight I actually created this account in hopes of finding some help regarding a pipe making project only time will tell i reckon

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
I’m more of a hands on type of person I can and have watched and read videos all day but sometimes you still have questions that google cannot answer only some good old fashioned experience can but anywho I’m patient

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
At the Chicago Pipe Show, there is a 2-day pipe carving and finishing class taught by the best in the business. This year it was Jeff Gracik, Ernie Markle, Lee Erck, Andy Peterson, and Rex Poggenpohl. $125, including the materials. There is a drilling class, too, which can be taken in a subsequent year. It's an amazing bargain and is held on Wednesday and Thursday before the show officially starts. A lot of the young carvers seem to network via Facebook.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Thank you Craiginthecorn I’ll keep that in mind though I’ve made several over the years my posting title may be misleading sorry about that

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
I’ve made several so I don’t think the book would help I had questions in general about the different wood types and techniques

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
There are many different sites you can go to. One place that has pretty much all of them is Pipedia. Some of the tooling can be hard to find but I believe they have links there to that.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Sourcing of material can be a real problem and expense when you first start out. Another problem is that in the beginning your skill level is low and so you don't want to waste good blocks with nice grain when you are first learning. Pine is cheap ( buy a 2 by 4) and is easy to work. Get a 2x4 and practice with it. Your mistakes only cost you your time!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Come to a Pipe Show. Meet pipe makers in person, and start a conversation. It will go a long way towards answering questions and making connections. Second to that is spending time on pipe makers forum. Last, but not least, buy a piece of land and build your own house just down the street from a pipe maker, then offer to sweep his shop twice a week, and then put a new roof on it and build a bunch of workbenches for him. It worked for my neighbor (Dean Harber Pipes, coming soon to a Retailer near you).

:D

handyman66

Lurker
May 29, 2018
Welcome, I am new here too, I also have the urge to create my own pipes, I intend to start later this year. There is heaps of info available so I've found, and I'm lucky enough to have a friend that works at a furniture manufacturers not far away, and some Cherry offcuts are going to make good practice pieces! I look forward to hearing how things go for you, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.