PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jexta

Lurker
Feb 24, 2016
Hello! Just looking for some advice on some brands or styles of tobacco to try out. After getting some sampler tins I found that I am not a huge fan of aromatic blends except on rare occasion, I just always craved a heavy, smoky flavor that I often got from Hearth & Home: Magnum Opus, LEO, and Dunhill's Nightcap.
I read the magazines from pipes & cigars and everything looks amazing, and how everyone describes things sounds so good it actually makes my mouth water lol... but I don't have the money to get everything all at once, nor the patience to order just one at a time. So, for all the Latakia / english blend seasoned smokers: What is your preferred brand and preferred blend from said brand, and why?
Any input is appreciated. Side note: Any adult beverage pairings that have proven to work well together would be appreciated as well.
Thanks!

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Nightcap is a classic. So are the other Dunhill latakia blends. Add in most of the GL Pease blends, and McClellands offerings as well. Both are very reasonably priced for the quality of tobacco. That should get you started. Enjoy.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Bombay Extra by McClelland really fit that bill for me when heavy Latakia was my thing. Luckily, the less heavy Bombay Court also exists to give the same quality smoke with less of it!

Mike S.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Larry's Blend and 10 to Midnight both are blends from Russ at Pipes and Cigars.
Plum Pudding from Seattle Pipe Club a Joe Lankford blend.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I like Ashton Artisan's Blend better than Nightcap. Also try Odyssey from Pease, Pirate Kake from C&D, Black Mallory from Rattray's and Penzance from Esoterica.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Bengal Slices is a pretty distinctive latakia blend. Peter Stokkebye's Proper English is a very nice blend that is sold in bulk at a very good price per ounce. 3 Oaks Syrian for me is the best Syrian latakia blend on the market but it will soon be gone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd forget about Dunhill blends as they may be going away forever. May.
Better than Dunny:
Bengal Slices

Smyrna

Black House

Margate

Proper English

Quiet Nights and other GL Pease blends- quite a few, which I have yet to try.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
If you like Magnum Opus, ypu will love Black house from the same blender, Russ Oulette! Esoterica Margate is fantastic, and G.L. Pease Gas Light and 10 Russians from Captain Earls were favorites of mine when I still smoked Lat blends. You also might like some blends that feature Dark Fired Kentucky instead of Latakia, if you like that strong, full flavor in your smoke.
Tim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still haven't popped my tin, but I always heard that Gaslight was a great plug Lat blend. Not everyone loves it, but it has had some of the most praise I recall for shear Latakia-forward flavor.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Lots of good suggestions made already. I just wanted to add McClelland's Frog Morton series, in particular Cellar (whiskey informed Latakia/Virginia) and On the Town (really pleasant Latakia playing well with Orientals and Virginia). I would have recommended Across the Pond, but it's no longer in production due to the depletion of Syrian Latakia stocks.
There are a few Dunhill blends I would have gone on about, but I'm finding it hard to recommend blends that may be off the market soon (grab up some Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, and My Mixture 965 while you can).

jexta

Lurker
Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Looking forward to trying some of these.
What is happening to Dunhill?

MacBarons Latakia Flake is one that I am currently smoking, and Old Ironsides by Dan Tobacco might be of interest. You din't mention other flavors, but I am more of a Balkan fan, so i go for the incense-y side of latakia, as in H&H Whiteknight, Dan's Midnight Rider and McC's Yenidje Highlander. These have more variety, but of just want smokey flavor the first two I mentioned are really good as well.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
While I don't personally enjoy english/latakia blends, the fine fellows of my pipe club all enjoy Captain Earle Ten Russians.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Captain Earle's is a pretty light easy going latakia as latakias go, IMO. I don't think there is a single one mentioned that I would not smoke. IMO, if you are looking for a latakia direction, the very best thing to do while trying the above is to buy up a pound of bulk, jar it and add it as needed to anything you are smoking that could use a little more smokiness whether already a lat blend or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.