PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I picked this pipe up recently but I am confused on what I've got here.
3351fcb0-8521-4d22-831d-b386d791d2c0-600x450.jpg

It is stamped Comoy's in serif font straight line, but there is no grade stamped below Comoy's. The bottom has the Made In London round stamp with England stamped under it. Shape is stamped as X296. There is also a "R" stamped on the bottom. The stem is acrylic swirl and the "C" logo looks to be painted. It is not the 3 piece inlay.
I am getting mixed reads on whether this is pre-Cadogan merger or not? I cleaned it up and I think it looks nice. If it turns out to be a good smoker I am going to restain it as the finished lightened up a bit due the heavy cleaning it needed. I am just curious on what it is. My best guess is a reject of some kind.
Anyone have some info?

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
That's what I thought as well. The Made in London England stamp threw me off. How long were Comoy's made in London after the merger?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pre and Post merger both used the round, "Made In London, England (underneath)" stamp, so the stem logo is the determining factor. The pre and post stamps are slightly different, typically a little more smaller in the post-merger pipes. Before the stamped, painted C logo, there was a one piece drilled C used for a few years.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Thank you both for the info. Mine definitely looks painted, not even a one piece logo. It doesn't look stamped to me even, just paint. Definitely post merger. Looks to be drilled quite well though. I hope it's a good smoker.
That Blue Riband is a beauty!
Is it normal for the later Comoy's to have no grade stamping? Perhaps a lower end line.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Not sure why it's un-graded but after a reaming and good cleaning it is a heck of a good smoker. Also the draw is rather open which I prefer. From what I have read here, this is not normally the case with Comoy's. Perhaps this is another difference in the post-merger pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.