PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I want to add some punch to my Carter Hall. I was thinking about purchasing some blending perique to mix in to it. Does anyone have a preferred ratio? Or horror stories as to why this is a terrible idea? Or a different component to stir?

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Carter Hall is one of those blends that can be mixed with just about anything. You may already be aware of Roth's mixture he calls Wall-Hall, 50/50 Carter Hall and Walnut. Very tasty.
I like your idea of mixing some Perique with it, I may have to give that a try. Though I'd go lightly with the Perique.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I like to add a pinch of Perique and a pinch of Dark Fired Kentucky Burley. It gives it a bit of kick but not too much to keep it from being an all day smoke.

Reactions: futureman

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have learned to appreciate CH straight. However, I found it to be a good mixer to use up some of the blends I don't particularly care for. Aromatic lovers will like it mixed 50/50 or 75/25 with Autumn Evening (Carter Evening?). I like this blend so well I purchased more Autumn Evening. English/Balkan lovers can mix it with Squadron Leader or the blend of their choice to add a little interest. Experiment! Remember, you are the best judge regarding your own personal tastes.

iwbiek

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
"over the top, too full english blend"!? i didn't know such a thing existed!
that being said, i have to confess a sinful love for carter hall and PA. whenever i'm visiting my native home in the boondocks of eastern kentucky and can't get the gawith and dunhill blends i can easily get here in my adopted corner of europe, i usually go running to the nearest shell or BP to get my "luxury pouch"! i don't mix 'em (never thought of it, actually), just stick 'em in a corncob and relive memories!
i like my captain black too, and--yes, i'm going to utter the cardinal blasphemy for devotees of the most overwhelming englishes like myself--captain black cherry. yes, i KNOW it tastes like smoking kool-aid but damn, my whole senior year of college comes flooding back (what wasn't permanently blotted out, anyway).

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Of all the threads on forums I've read regarding Carter Hall, Roth's Wal-Hall is by far the number one mix. The other thing that most agree on is the blending itself. Give it a good mix, smash it in a jar for a month to get a true singular flavor.
Roth's Izmir touch is different and not something to be ignored, I've tried it with a few non-VaPer blends and it really brings you something new. I don't think it stands up against strong Perique or Latakia blends, but does change things on light Latakia if you used as a bowl topper. Thanks Roth for that one, I've got it and Perique on my shopping cart but keeps getting pushed by the nasty rush to buy VaPer blends by years end.
Craig

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Peter Stokkebye almost makes a Turkish tobacco in bulk, it really is great stuff. Never tried blending a little with Sugar Barrel (which many say is like CH), but I will try it soon that way. I do also like smoking it straight.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Thanks for the input everyone. There are a lot of good ideas and I will let you know what I end up coming up with. This should be interesting as I tend to over do things at first and then back off so I assume my first run through with this will either make my beard grow twice as fast or maybe just fall out.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Get some Dark Bird's Eye from Gawith Hoggarth. Definitely tons of flavor, and ass-kicking nicotine.
If you just want a Burley with more nicotine OTC, try Sir Walter Raleigh. I feel MUCH more nicotine satisfaction from it, compared to Carter Hall. When I smoke Carter Hall, I typically do a good amount of inhaling to compensate.

iwbiek

Lurker
Oct 13, 2013
When I smoke Carter Hall, I typically do a good amount of inhaling to compensate.
oh yeah, CH and PA both, i inhale like a fiend. it's practically like smoking a cigarette for me. in fact, i've been known to make CH rollies (unfiltered of course), although i generally prefer PA because it has a slightly longer cut and stays in the papers better.
in fact, other than the cut, i've never been able to discern any difference between CH and PA. then again, 5 years of being an english fanatic has somewhat handicapped my ability to discern subtle differences. my dad swears up and down that CH bites more easily than PA, but i've never noticed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.