PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Together with the Peterson pipes I asked about in another thread,
I have acquired a lot of estate Brighams. The particular one I'd like to know more about is this one:

brighampatent.jpg

I have searched the web, but could neither find this particular shape "432" in any of the shape charts of the classic Brighams,nor could I find more information about the Brigham logo and the patent stamp. Especially the logo resembles that of earlier Comoy's, with the cursive script and the end of the "m" in Brigham elongated in a line below the manufacturer name. The earliest pictures I have found from the 1950s still show the Brigham name stamp in a more modern version. Does anyone know when Brigham changed name stamp styles? Who would be able to give me an approximate time frame of when this pipe was born? :)
Thanks in advance,
NB

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I would start by looking up the patent number; it should give you a good idea of when the pipe was created. Unfortunately, the pic isn't quite clear enough for me to make out - my best guesses led to a surgical laser and a sealant for underground tanks. There are a few different patents registered to the Brigham company, so this could help you peg down the general age.

You can also get some information on Brigs by the tenon material; however you won't be able to peg down the exact date, but rather whether it was a Canadian mfg. or Italian mfg. pipe - they switched from aluminum to delryn when they moved their ops to Italy.

The nomenclature on the stem will also provide you with some information around dating. The pin system vs. the Maple-Leaf or the "B", for example. You can find out more info on the nomenclature here.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Schmitzblitz - the patent number is 372982 and according to the patent office was issued in mid-1938
http://brevets-patents.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/patent/372982/summary.html
Good call! I guess that at least sets a lower bound for the age of the pipe. The upper bound I still believe could be found if somebody knew when Brigham stopped stamping their cursive name and switched to the newer logo.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
You can try to email Brigham directly from their website. I did this asking about a pipe on the site, and they replied in a timely fashion. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.