PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I was wondering if anyone knows where to find any of the original edgeworth from virginia? I understand its not easy to find but I thought I would ask anyway.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Here are 2 different lots
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edgeworth-Sliced-2004-UNOPENED-SEALED-/290884969547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba18644b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edgeworth-Sliced-Pipe-Tobacco-Tin-Unoppened-and-Sealed-2010-/300877820914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460db733f2

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
mikephillips:
I might be unusual in this regard, but I don't have any problem paying $50-75 for an out-of-production blend that interests me, simply for the chance to have that once-in-a-lifetime experience -- or to revisit a blend that I smoked years ago but which isn't being made anymore.
Don't get me wrong, though: I've bought maybe 10 such tins over the last decade, so I'm certainly not grabbing up everything that's around. But I've done it with the Pease Syrians, Bengal Slices, a Murray-era Dunhill, A&C Petersen's Caledonian Curly-Cut Melange #410, and Elephant & Castle's Deerstalker. And I'd definitely do it again if I were to find Sullivan Powell's Gentleman's Mixture and several of the Gallaher's blends, which I tried when I was first starting out but certainly didn't appreciate/understand fully.
BTW, I don't mean to stir things up, but I was under the impression that it was against forum rules to post eBay links. (Although I would be thrilled if that's not the case!)
Bob

May 31, 2012
I think old Edgeworth is like the American Balkan Sobranie as far as market values go, although it does seem to fluctuate, at least since I've had my eye on 'em, but this auction floored me:

early "cowboy style" tin sold for $122.50!
I was interested early on with Edgeworth because I loved burley from the start, I got lucky and found one of those cowboy tins with a Buy-it-now for $20 and I thought I was stupid because those old tins are not air-tight, but to my surprise the bacco was in good shape & rehydrated easily --- there's no tellin' how much the stuff I smoked had changed over the years and it's the only example I've smoked, but I'd say that Wessex Burley Slices is almost an exact match to the Edgeworth profile.
Also, be careful with the euro tins because they're not Larus or Lane, but Made in Denmark, if the tin has a lowercase " e " then it's not American --- the Danish stuff may be good, I have no idea because I've never tried it, also it was apparently made in the UK for a while too, I don't have all the facts concerning the later productions, so don't take my word for stone.
I know where a 14oz tub of Ready-Rubbed is for sale right now, but a bit on the high side for $95, pm me if interested & I'll pass along the info.
Otherwise, I'm a pretty cheap bastard, out of necessity, and the mother of invention opens up creative avenues for finding stuff, what I would do is this...I noticed an unsold pouch, email the seller & see if he still has it, make an offer, you might get lucky:

the unsold pouch in question
Finally, I gotta say, if you're really determined to find some, seek and ye shall, it's as simple as that!
Maybe even start some sort of campaign for Lane Ltd. to put it back in production, I know it would sell, it's probably the most highly regarded "big factory" American tobacco of all time!
For an inspirational tale of the pursuit paying off, I suggest you read Fred Hanna's article about his beloved Marcovitch, it'll put some fire under yer ass as well as give ye hope!

Marvelous Marcovitch - A Tale of Perseverance Paying Off
Godspeed,good luck,happy days & holy smokes!!!

:puffy:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If you want the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed version and aren't snooty about it, the ERR Match at P&C is pretty darn close to the original. I've smoked both in the last few months and the difference is only slightly noticeable.

May 31, 2012
Yeah, I said WBS was a damn near match, but it really ain't, like Roth said earlier, it's close but no cigar --- WBS tilts more toward a chocolatey profile while the EW of course is full-on molasses.
...found this tin-opening vid of the later production stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXbBaAbH9M

...also, a great read all about Edgeworth can be seen here:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2013/1/7/relax-with-edgeworth.html

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's funny, I love burley and have been curious about Edgeworth lately -- I've even been eyeing some of the same tins on ebay. I think I'll forgo the premium prices for the moment, though. Instead, I just placed an order for some ERR Match at P&C, plus a tin of Wessex Burley Slice. We'll see how that goes and then perhaps move on to the originals.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
i have 8oz of the ERR and it is quite good, i also have a tin of WBS. I'm new to flakes so I'm still working out the kinks on the WBS, but its a pleasant smoke so far if unremarkable (mostly due to technique I'm sure)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Flakes are still a challenge for me, just getting the hang of packing, but the smokes are getting more consistent so i'll keep at the WBS until I can determine whether its the baccy or me.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
As far as I know it isn't against the rules to post links to ebay or anywhere else as long as you aren't promoting yourself. If a guy asks where to get something, you can post. Never had a problem with it before.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just tried the ERR Match. It is exactly what I hoped it would be. Easy smoking, but full of nutty burley flavor. Easy to light. It's a keeper.

May 31, 2012
Cool, sounds good. I may try it as well.
And now for something completely different,

how's this for a Dunhill font-swipe ?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
3cd24c085775441d76d0517454268891.wix_mp_256

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Pitchfork: I'm glad the ERR Match is working out for you. I need to get more since I smoked all of mine up.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
jiminks, I ordered 4 ounces for the better price (I almost never order that much at once), but I'm sure it won't go to waste.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It's right up there with my favourite blends at the moment. Nutty molasses flavour, a really nice smoke.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I thought about listing that 50 year old 7 0z. tin of Middelton's Hickory I have on eBay but thought since it had been opened it would most definitely be against eBay rules. The winner who received it might say I tried to poison them or something!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Introduced a friend of mine to the ERR Match -- he loved it and the room note was phenomenal.
Also had my second try at Wessex Burley Slice (properly dried this time) -- another great smoke. I really liked the complex, rich burley taste. A keeper for sure.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have a tub from 2006 still as well as two 8oz cans from the '50s when there were tax exempt stickers lol. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.