PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm thoroughly enjoying Solani Aged Burley Flake - and rapidly moving through thee 50g tin. So I'll be placing an order for a few more tins of this, along with more S.G. Full Virginia Flake. I'm wondering - is Mac-Baren HH Old Dark Fired along the same lines as Solani ABF? If somewhat similar, I'd get a tin of that along with the rest of the order.
Thanks!
-Andy

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Both ABF and ODF are great Flake tobaccos. However, I would classify ODF and Virginia / Burley blend where ABF is a straight blend of Burley's.

They are both full bodied smokes, but I feel ODF is slightly more complex than ABF.

So, even though I would not classify these 2 tobaccos in the same category, I guess they do offer similar taste profiles.

Both are highly ranked in my book.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't smoked ODF, but since it has dark fired tobaccos in it, it will taste somewhat different from ABF. Wessex Burley Slice is in the same genre as ABF, but it's not as good, in my opinion.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Old Dark Fired is one of those "must try" blends but offers a VERY different taste profile as Solani ABF. Dark Fired Kentucky is the main player in ODF whereas, while I can detect it, it plays a very minor role in ABF. If you are looking for something in the same "vein" as ABF then ODF won't give you that. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try ODF, it's a good blend, just different. Take a look at something like Wessex Burley Slices or some of the C&D Burley offerings.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Many thanks for the info. I always thought of myself as a Virginia smoker. But ABF is a very mild, pleasant smoke that doesn't bite - and the room note is extremely pleasant to me, anyway. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites. Doesn't mean I'm not a Virginia guy - but I have to say that the two Solani tobaccos I've smoked so far are extremely good tobaccos.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
ABF is one of my favorites. I love burley in general, and this is the mildest, sweetest burley flake I know of. It's so mild, that sometimes I add a bit of C&D Burley Flake #2 to my ABF. Doing so adds a bit more zing and sharpness to it, which I like. I often do the same with Wessex Burley Slice. To me, that's the closest thing to the old Edgeworth Sliced, which regrettably is only available at very high prices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a plug, not flake, and a blend, not just burley, but you might enjoy GL Pease Triple Play. It's good strength,

hearty taste, but artfully blended, so you get levels and variations. I think most burley smokers would like it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Andy ... have you smoked any Carter Hall or Prince Albert?
They both have enough Burley to scratch that itch from time to time.
If you want to try a stronger Burley blend, try C&D Haunted Bookshop.

It is Burley based with a touch of Virginia and decent amount of Perique.
As others have mentioned, ODF is delicious but more of a smokey dark-fired Va/Bur
ABF is for real connoisseurs. ODF is for lightweights.
I smoke both and must disagree with our esteemed Canadian colleague! :)

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I thought the Wessex Burley Slice was pretty fantastic. It's a little closer to Solani than the ODF is.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I have tried Prince Albert several times. But both times it was early on and I got some pretty nasty tongue burn. It's certainly readily available. Maybe I'll pick up some tomorrow.
G.L. Pease makes amazing tobacco. Will try Triple Play on the next order.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
ABF is for real connoisseurs. ODF is for lightweights.
Then call me Barny Fife because this lightweight, skinny 'ol s.o.b. loves his ODF.
Then again, comparing the two seems rather odd seeing that they are two different blends.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ trialboss... I think some of of guys here would love to have a cab like that parked by their homes to smoke in during the winter months. Then again, it might very well be that many of the married ones would pack up their belongings and move in there!

Oct 12, 2014
"I have tried Prince Albert several times. But both times it was early on and I got some pretty nasty tongue burn. It's certainly readily available. Maybe I'll pick up some tomorrow."
Do this. The Prince is very good and gets needlessly trashed all over the internet. Use good technique and smoke it slooowww. It will develop into a very very good smoke!
"some purists probably choked on their 30 year old Edgeworth Sliced" ---- I have 1 tin left. I dont want to open it. To do so will be to say goodbye forever to one of my most favorite blends. :(....

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The Prince is very good and gets needlessly trashed all over the internet.
Certainly not by me. I smoke PA a couple of times a week and I consider it somewhat like a 'comfort food' to me. Something like a grilled cheese sandwich, macaroni & cheese, grilled baloney with fried onions sandwich, etc. Other than that, I've never experienced tongue burn from it. Then again, any baccy that is smoked too aggressively can be unpleasant and without taste. As you said... sloooww it down.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I you like that try Escudo Navy Deluxe, and Reiner Long Golden Flake, if you want a straight Virginia try Dunhill Flake, or Orlik Golden Slice which is my main smoke

Oct 12, 2014
Exactly. I think what a lot folks do is just codger scoop* it into a cob, hotbox it down, then claim "its cheap cardboard crap" blah blah.. and as you said crap technique = crap smoke
*PA can be codger scooped and it works quite well but slow down your cadence :)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have yet to smoke Prince Albert, my grandfather's only blend...can you still get it in the tin can?
Sorry to say that is long gone.

The smaller amount now comes in 1.50 oz. aluminum pouches, which is the the way I purchase it (5 pack).

Status
Not open for further replies.