PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[You might want to look at consignment at 4noggins and pipestud among others for some very aged virginia. Pricey but definitely aged +10 y]

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How about a 56 year old Virginia?
images

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Come on, people. I have 11 years old Vintage Syrian. Or 6 years old Artisans Blend.

May be not 10 years+... May be a bit younger. Orlik Golden Sliced, Escudo, Capstan, Virginia Flakes...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Lat blends tend to start going flat around 8 to 10 years. Aged Virginias are a thing that few would part with. Even after six months in a jar, the change is amazing. I have blends like Red Cake, and Christmas Cheer with over a decade on it, that no amount of money could part me with.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Flat, in my experience, is a bit of an over statement. I be smoked a number of English blends with 30 years or more age and they were some of the best smokes I can recall. The biggest problem I’ve found with these older English’s is that, once opened, the blend does tend to peter out in a week or less. At least when the tin is relied upon for storage of the open blend.

Mike S.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hear Syrian Latakia does not go flat like Cyprian. Am I wrong?
Lats fade over time. How rapidly they fade depends on the conditions under which they're stored, so there's no hard and fast rule regarding this.
In a general way, Lats lose a little bit in the first 10-15 years, and by 30 years they're often just a ghost. But with some of the older tins, like cutter tops, the seal is significantly better than in newer flimsier tins, so you occasionally find a really old tin where the Latakia has mellowed, but not disappeared, and these do provide a sensational smoke, in part because the other Oriental tobaccos have matured and ripened.

Status
Not open for further replies.