Tags:  No tags yet. 

Looking for a Retirement Pipe

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Good morning Gents,

I will be retiring from my service with the Royal Canadian Navy as of next week (well, I will be on retirement leave until beginning of July, but 24 May is when I will swallow the anchor).

I wanted to buy a nice new pipe to celebrate this important milestone and was thinking of buying from an artisan. I like sandblasted pipes, do not like ebonite stems (but am ok with Cumberland) and prefer acrylic. I also tend to prefer classic shapes with a personal reinterpretation. In fact, I am missing a 1/4 bent Brandy in my collection.

My budget would be no more than 350USD, as my income is about to take a major drop shortly.

Any suggestions? Many thanks....

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BST Pipes

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Yep

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. drennan

drennan

Login to Send PM

I'd be tempted with an Askwith morta pipe, heavily blasted. I love morta's look and smoking qualities and Chris does a wonderful job with both classic shapes and his take on classic shapes. He's a complete gent to deal with and a morta pipe does fall within your price range.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. ericthered

ericthered

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you feel about meerschaum? There are a few guys on this forum that got custom carved Navy-themed meers that I thought looked pretty cool.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

For $350 I would go for an artisan pipe.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was not familiar with BST but after looking at his web site I like what he does. Congrats on your retirement and enjoy the time off.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drop Ryan Alden a line. He's a regular poster here, as you probably know. He makes a mean pipe and is a very pleasant and approachable guy to work with.

Congrat's on making it to the finish line. Bet you've seen some interesting things in your time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My retirement commemoration pipe's a BST. Love it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tinsky made mine just the way I wanted it and even put my initials and retirement date on it. Get one of his blast which are done by Rad and you will be thrilled.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would second Ryan Alden, I have a gorgeous Morta bent Brandy that he made, with a green Cumberland stem.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

PM sent. Think you'll like the idea.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. Best pipe for a Navy Man, S Bang Giant. Art work done by Mike AKA Cosmic

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One more word for Ryan Alden: The black blast author he made for me is superbly done.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ryan Alden or Clark Layton!!!!!

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take a look at Moretti Pipes (Italy). Marco will make just about anything you might like, turns the work around quickly and his pipes smoke wonderfully at a fraction of the cost of other commissioned pipes. http://www.pipemoretti.com/
    He also maintains a Facebook page (pipesmoretti)

Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy the well earned leisure.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another +1 for Ryan Alden

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retiring from the Royal Canadian Navy, I think first of a Canadian pipe, either an artisan commission or a Blatter & Blatter from Montreal, or maybe a B&B commission. Although that Cosmic pipe with the anchor is a resounding Navy message too. It's mostly about you, and not so much about anything else, so if it quickens your pulse, you are probably on the right track.

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally would not go with BST, but that just may be my own experience with that particular carver.

In that price range I would be inclined to go with Ryan Alden or Clark Layton or try to pick up a Rad Davis.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will Ryan do acrylic?

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I personally would not go with BST, but that just may be my own experience with that particular carver.

I personally would. Based on mine. And on the quality of his work.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally would. Based on mine. And on the quality of his work.

The quality of the work on my two was horrible. Another prominent member had the same experience with his. However, we are entitled to our own opinions and I am just stating my own. I am truly glad that your experience was different.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, have you talked to Todd about it?

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, have you talked to Todd about it?

I didn't but the other guy on the forum did and it was never resolved to his satisfaction so I didn't see the point. He eventually sold his and went back to his beloved Rad Davis pipes and I did the same. I just felt for the price at that time (2012/13) that it was not great value for me. My use of the word "horrible" above is, upon reflection, an overstatement and unfair, as I have seen far worse for the money. The shaping of both mine were off (one by a wide chasm) and both pipes had an extraordinarily tight draw, so much that they were very frustrating to smoke and clean. I didn't mind the bits, although the other gent on the forum hated his, but he is way more sensitive about that feature then I tend to be. Now to be fair, this is 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe BST has improved in leaps and bounds since then. I am just saying that in that price range I know that I have had a fantastic experience with Alden and Layton and that's what I would personally recommend. Others have had a much better (and likely more recent) experience with BST than I have and I respect that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At that price level, any complaints should be about personal dissatisfaction with the style or weight, not outright quality. If a serious high-grade buyer like peck doesn't like his, I'd worry about buying into this. Especially since there are excellent high level and mid-grades in abundance. Unless a particular pipe just rang the strings of your heart and you felt you couldn't live without it -- and still, what a way to be disappointed. This is a once in a lifetime retirement pipe; it has to be superb if at all possible.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The shaping of both mine were off (one by a wide chasm) and both pipes had an extraordinarily tight draw, so much that they were very frustrating to smoke and clean. I didn't mind the bits, although the other gent on the forum hated his, " I know at one point Cigarmaster suggested to me that my stems could be flatter over the top of the bite zone. That is literally the only critical feedback I've had in about the last 5 years.

This is news to me. I don't mind at all that someone would post an honest opinion of my work, but if they do it without ever mentioning any issues about a pipe to me, then I find it a little backhanded.

Truth is, I have no idea what pipe or pipes you are talking about Peck. Would be very interested to see a picture.

At any rate, the other guys mentioned in this thread, namely Ryan and Clark are excellent choices.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm gonna pile on the Askwith bandwagon. Get a stunning commission at your price point and he's fast and does great work. You can't go wrong with him from all I've heard.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

for USD 350 you have a way large spectrum, I'd go for a specialty edition or a rare item. (Peterson's have great specialty editions) also, you can go for a custom made block meerschaum by an artisan.. I guess they cost around 150$+shipping.
    And happy retirement sailor

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For $350 I would take a BST over anything Peterson makes at any price, ten times out of ten. I like older Petersons & smoke them with enjoyment -- nothing against them. But there's no comparison IMO.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it were me, and it's not, I'd go for a Ferndown, Ashton, or a commissioned Blatter and Blatter to stay with the Canadian theme.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ I agree. The Blatter and Blatter pipes look real nice.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may want to get in contact with Boswell Pipes. He can either make or sell you a pipe with the Royal Canadian Navy Emblem on the bowl. Let Jim Boswell know what you have in mind and he will do a great job for you. I'm not affiliated with Boswell Pipes.

http://www.boswellpipes.com/pipes/

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sasquatch and I have taken our differences off line.

Now, back to the thread. What have you decided? We love spending other people's money on this forum.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of suggestions! Thanks very much, guys, you are giving me some food for thought. I will let you know how things go.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get a pipe that will float.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  36. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, back to the OP, that price point buys a hell of a good pipe if you are a tiny bit careful.

I think Castello beats the hell out of Peterson and Savinelli at that price point.

In terms of artisan pipes, that's not quite rarified air in terms of pricing, but there are a hell of a lot of good pipes at that price point, made by guys who have been doing it long enough to know what they are doing. Everyone mentioned so far I am all for.

Add to the list, Wayne Teipen, Mark Price, Nate King, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think to be successful doing custom stuff, you want to find a maker that does stuff the customer likes intrinsically. No use going to Dunhill if you like Casellos. Snoop around, chat with guys, figure out what you want and make it happen.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering the desire for an acrylic stem I think Castello would be an excellent choice.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To add fuel to the fire. I actually have a couple Don Warren commissions (lower price point = more pipes) I am very happy with. I've also heard good things about that Basil Meadows guy. His Bings are supposed to be outstanding.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm jaded but I would go with Becker, Federico is already doing a Yeoman's job of filling both his late grandfather Fritz and his father Paulo's shoes. Congratulations for your service.
    banjo

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just received my first Becker today. Pre-smoke the pipe seems perfectly built. The drilling is right on and the bit feels perfect. I would rather not have the bowl coated but that will be gone after a few bowls.

Pending the first smoke, I am very happy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. lohengrin

lohengrin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Castello

Il Duca

Walt Cannoy

Michael Parks

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get a Northern Briars Pipe or ask them if they'll make you a special one... Fittingly, his workshop is on a boat. Great pipes!

also... in that budget...

Cardinal House/Walt Cannoy
    Ferndown
    Askwith
    Ser Jacopo

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 3 years ago #
  43. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

a commissioned Blatter and Blatter to stay with the Canadian theme.

I would have to agree. I'm very pleased with mine and you couldn't find a nicer bunch of guys. I can see another visit to Montreal in my future.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

guyrox, be sure to let us know what you choose; the suspense is incredible.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't believe Walt is accepting commissions. And I assumed Nate King was out of that price range.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Many of the suggestions use mostly ebonite stems. I would go with Ask with, he uses mostly non-ebonite stem material and his pipes are well made and the price is right in your range.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'd try to handle some of the pipes you are interested in - satisfaction is very subjective. I have pipes from the various makers listed here experiences that are specific to my own needs. Just because a lot of folks like a maker doesn't ensure you will. I've owned two Rad Davis pipes and didn't care for either - but I'm definitely in the minority.

Desiring an acrylic stem narrows thing down - but a particular maker may be able to accommodate on a commission. Tinksy is the king of acrylic stems.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This is awesome, there are so many suggestions! Unfortunately, I am very adamant on not wanting black ebonite stems, even if it narrows down my options. Cumberland, however, are ok with me as they don't oxydate when properly taken care of.
    Very many thanks, gents!

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Cumberland will oxidate just like ebonite, it just is harder to see it changing color.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had Mark Tinsky make me 2 pipes on commission. The first has his acrylic stem, the second I had him do one in vulcanite. They both smoke superbly and he his just great to deal with.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The BST Commemorative I got has an acrylic stem and is top shelf work by any standard.

FWIW

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You want that special zing of recognition every time you lift this pipe off the rack, and a deep feeling of satisfaction every time you light it up, as a tribute to your years of work in a challenging career. The Navy of any nation is a special tribe and you never completely walk away.

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So busy recommending RA that I forgot the more important points: Congratulations on your retirement, and thank you for your service.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Cumberland will oxidate just like ebonite, it just is harder to see it changing color

That's why it's ok with me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your retirement

If your missing a 1/4 bent Brandy for your collection, then that is the one Id get, something to mark this milestone achievement with.

I know the financial adjustment you are about to face, so now might just be the last opportunity you have to obtain one.

IMHO

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  56. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you thought about a stem made from Juma? Doesn't oxidize and is softer than acrylic. Although a bit less shiny.

Posted 3 years ago #
  57. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thought on the juma. I believe Scottie Persel makes some pipes with juma stems.

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well. We moved into our new home and I realized after a few days we would have to deal with unexpected costs. So the pipe purchase is being put on the back burner.

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I bought a house a few months ago and moved in. Unanticipated expenses always abound. It's depressing how much you simply can't anticipate. That said, moving into a new home is great fun!! I'm still buying furniture and getting settled. Hope you're enjoying yourself as well!

Posted 3 years ago #
  60. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This gives you more time to think it over and maybe make an even better decision. Also, you'll be better settled into retirement and be able to enjoy it more. I'm looking at the upside here. You'll know what you want. I'm still voting for a Blatter & Blatter, a great Canadian pipe at a right price.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cshubhra, jaytex969, jiminks, tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman