PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Can some kind soul point me in the direction of finding a proper American flag?
I don't mean the cheap and nasty China made polyester/nylon jobbies, I mean a proper cotton or even sailcloth version?
EBay has plenty but all appear to be of dubious quality originating from Asia. Ideally I'd prefer an American made version of roughly 4 foot by 2 foot (I'm not familiar with flag dimensions but 4 foot across would be ideal).
Any pointers anyone please?
BTW it's merely for indoor wall mounting but build quality is very important simply because I don't like to buy c#%p from Asia if I can avoid it.
Regards,
Jay.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Punk kid you is. Actually, I still *have* a genuine made in the USofA 48'er. It was one the family got for my uncle when they thought he wasn't going to make it after he stepped on a mine in WWII & it blew half his right leg off & took out part of a lung. Stubborn cuss that he was, he lasted till 1988 & died at his desk in the Rayburn House Office Building. I was named after him.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hey, he put in a bunch of years as a cattleman, hotel owner, member of the AL state Senate, 20 years in Congress, God only knows what-all else. He lived a life enough for at least 3 people. Quite the guy. He loved 3 things more than anything else, his church, his work, & hunting. He could have died at any of those & been happy.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yup, that he was, & had what you might call a, er, "well-developed sense of identity." Knew exactly who he himself was & seldom questioned his own judgment. He was usually right, fortunately, & knew how to be political & how/when/how much to compromise.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Aldecaker for the link. Oddly enough, whilst checking out AmericanFlags.com and others I stumbled upon a British seller offering......
"Vintage Style US Flag 48 Stars 90 x 150cm (3 x 5 foot)
Vintage-style reproduction US American WW2 flag, with 48 stars, as used from 1912 to 1959.
This flag is made from 100% cotton canvas.
It is embroidered and stitched, not printed. The stripes are a vintage off-white colour."

.....for £30:95 with postage included! Also you will note it has 48 stars!
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Mike, that was me that started that, not Jay. I don't have anything against AK and HI, just modern times.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, do you have something against Hawaii and Alaska?"
Mike, absolutely not though I have to admit I was curious of the significance of the number of stars. I did read a Wikipedia article on the topic but the fact that this particular company only stocks the 48 star version suggested to me (along with Aldecaker's comment) that this is the flag I should have.
The plan is to mount it above my bed head. I also looked all over for the Confederate flag but came up with so many different designs other than the one I actually wanted I gave up. I wonder if recent events in the US have made the flag I had in mind regarded as not PC anymore.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.