PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

obihann

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
So I'm only very new to this, and currently smoking captain black gold. I'm gonna pop to the smoke shop today to get a pipe tool, maybe a cheap corn cob to go with my cheap wood pipe, and pick up some new tobacco. I'm looking for something cheap and common, but a unique taste that I hopefully will notice the difference compared to the captain black.
Thanks!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Actually, the Altadis Mild English (many B&M's carry Altadis blends as their "house" bulk blends) isn't a bad intro to English blends, but Peter Stokkebye English Luxury is a better bulk if they have it.
-Jason

obihann

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
Just got back from the nearest smoke shop, and I got into a conversation with the buy before I could even ask about the brands you all suggested (there going on my must try list I promise). He started explaining the difference between aromatic and english tobaccos, I asked for something that might be more cool or refreshing and he said what makes it cool is often the distance between the bowl and your mouth. I asked him a bit about corn cobs and he said you may notice a sweeter taste with the english blends but nothing on the aromatic. So... I picked up a pipe tool (didn't have one yet), some filters, a corn cob pipe, and a tin of old dublin by betersons of dublin.
I think I will try the old dublin in my current pipe thats half broken in, but with a new filter. That way I can hopefully better compare with what I'm used to smoking, I figure if I change tobaccos and pipes it won't be that fare of a comparison.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Sounds like you have a great resource at your B&M. I think you'll get a lot of people here saying that you should ditch the filters. Good luck on your endeavor!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Congrats on your tobacconist experience. Old Dublin is a good quality tobacco but it wouldn't have been my recommendation to a new smoker. I'm interested to hear how you made out with it.

obihann

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
I've chatted with this guy before and I believe the reason he recommended it to me was because he knows I smoke cigars, so I guess to him I wasn't a new smoker just new to pipes.
Stupid question, whats B&M mean?
Also, why remove the filter?

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
B&M = "Brick & Mortar"
Enjoy your new Corn Cob and Petersons............

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Most people think that the filters restrict the draw, trap moisture and get plugged up, ruin the flavor of the tobacco....the list goes on and on.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
...or try it both ways and see which you prefer. I use filters in all my pipes that are designed to accept them. You could also try the balsa filters in place of the paper ones, if they are more to you liking.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Try it without the filter. See what you like better.
The only downside without a filter in the corn cob is when you smoke all the way to the botom of the bowl you might get some ash in your mouth if you puff too hard. So be gentle.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Try some of the cheap and common over the counter blends such as Prince Albert, Carter Hall, etc.
Lots of pipers use those old standby blends.

obihann

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
I think if I walk into my smoke shop and say "excuse me sir, do you have Prince Albert in a can?" they'll throw me out... Or, maybe not until I follow it up with "you better let him out".

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
hehehe....if your B&M has a passive aggressive issue go to a Wal-Mart, pharmacy, gas station, or some where else to pick up the PA.
Seriously, if cheap and common are two of your criteria, what are known as the "codger blends" are something you should try.
Especially so if you're using a cob. You might be surprised.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
^Still funny...("Prince Albert in a can" that is...)
Seriously though, the 1Q recommendations are solid. If you have a real friendly shop to visit, part of the fun is chatting about the hobby. See if they have a "sampler" deal of some kind to try a few blends. I know that would've been more helpful for me starting out. I had to finish a lot of pouches of stuff that wasn't that great before I found my favourites, but you sure do learn a lot...

obihann

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
It seems to be a great shop as the few times I've been in there hes had helpful advice to share. On a side note its funny how quickly you can pick out the difference in peoples geography via forums. For example I'm from Canada, up here any store with a pharmacy is not allowed to sell tobacco, so that rules out Wal-Mart and any of the local drug stores. I often wonder why Wal-Mart doesn't bend the rules like the local grocery stores, they have pharmacys however they all built a "smoke shop" with no entrance to or from the grocery store, but right front and center next to the main entrance.
Yah, its a bit different up here, but at least I can buy Cubans pretty much anywhere :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Yeah I hear you, I'm from Ottawa so I've bought a few Brighams from the grocery store in the past. Even then, only a few in the area even sell pipes anymore when at one time most had a display case. I bought my first Peterson at a Loblaws here a few years back...
Still some great b+m's around, always good to support them when you can.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Some of the other Canadian folk can probably reccommend an American etailer that is good about shipping to Canada. Some are more effective than others, or so I'm told.

Status
Not open for further replies.