PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Hi guys,
I have arthritis in my hands, so I like larger sized pipes, and I am looking for a Zulu. I recently purchased a really nice Chacom Zulu off of eBay item # 371615760546 for $89, cool! I thought.
When I got it, it seems smaller than what I thought it would be, however to the seller's credit it is a "normal" sized Zulu (an oval) measuring 1.6" by 1.4" and he is willing to take it back if I choose to return it.
So I began a quest to find a larger Zulu, but all the Zulus that I have found on smokingpipes.com have been on the 1.4ish size.
Does anyone know where I can find a good quality Zulu, new or estate?
thanks for your help!
Todd

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
That's about the normal size for a zulu, there might be some larger ones out there but I cant think of any off hand, have you considered commissioning a pipe? I got a Freehand from Chris (member @shikano53) and its a great pipe, I don't know if he is willing to take on any work and I don't want to volunteer him but it might not hurt to message him and ask.
He also has a website

http://www.christopherpipes.com/

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a large Zulu. It's a Hardcastle. Measures 7 inches with a 2.5 inch overall bowl height. 1.9 in depth with a .825 diameter. Bowl is more upright like a Dublin than canted like the Zulu. But has the bent stem. Walls are 3/8 thick. I bought it as an estate, so I could not tell you where it came from.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
And on Etsy, an interesting Cellini, https://www.etsy.com/listing/492991440/briar-tobacco-smoking-pipe-cellini?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=zulu%20estate%20pipe&ref=sr_gallery_1

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Is this one too small?
http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Peterson-1551-i38578.html
Peterson-Kapp-Royal-268-pipe-1551-Peterson-1551-Alpascia-img-150364-w580-h212.jpg

Zulus are a sub-category of Dublins, like Rhodesians are a type of bulldog. And, most (almost all) Zulus will have the Dublin conical bowls. When these get too large in diameter, the tobacco doesn't pack in very well, because of the cone shape. So, when you hold it in your clench with the big cone shaped bowl tilted forward, the tobacco will most likely start to fall out, especially ashes and such as you move around. The smaller diameter zulus, you can pack fairly tight and work best with flakes, IMO.

YMMV

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
There is a beautiful large Zulu on eBay (Pipe Mimmo Provenzano 12 A6MP201 GRADE B Smooth Zulu Briar Handmade), slightly larger than the one I have, but at $200+ I think I'll keep the current one I have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's still Group 4, but an ample Group 4, the Savenelli 404 zulu (or their Rossi 8404, sometimes called a 404 too). It's available in series all across the Sav/Rossi spectrum. I keep talking this one up, and I don't seem to be "selling" any to Forums members, but it's the classic item, not fancy but everything a zulu needs to be.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I think it's sad when fellow pipers try to make up for certain shortcomings by seeking out large "zulus" or whatever the current colloquialism is :) always remember that it's not the size of a "Zulu" that matters, but what you "smoke" with it that is truly important...
Arthritis sucks... I'm not there yet, but it's in my near future. I collect chronic conditions :( i like zulus also, but I've never seen larger than a group 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.