Looking for a Good Mixing Base for Blending.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
I decided that I'm going to start blending my own pipe tobacco and need a few suggestions. I bought some blending latakia and perique at p&c and was wondering what mixing base I could use. My preferences as are follows I would like the base tobacco to be preferably
Mixing Base
1. Straight Virginia

2. Strong and rich and thick tasting

3. Fairly high nic content

4. Affordable

5. Plug or flake form would be cool too as I want to try something new
Thanks Grim :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I don't have actual experience in this, but I'd check out the McClelland bulk blends. They have several Virginia blends that may let you approach this with variety. They have 2 or 3 straight Virginias (5100 gets mentioned a lot around here), I believe McClelland is known for top notch Vs. I can't speak to the nic content, and "affordable" is different to everyone.
Chris

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
5100 is a terrific Virginia blending base, but it is not especially high in nicotine. Perhaps the OP could add some dark burley or Kentucky to amp up the nic?

Aug 1, 2012
I would check out the blending tobaccos at C&D or 4noggins and experiment. Also, a good base VA IME is Mac Barren Virginia No. 1.

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Yes i want nice pure Virginias and these are great suggestions so far and I will be reading reviews. Good tasting affordable pure VA is what I need.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
captainsousie hit the nail on the head! Mac Baren Virginia #1 delivers thick, luxurious smoke; it's gently sweet and tasty; and it has a moderate nic content. It would be ideal as a blending base because it is Mac Baren's only blended Va that is only Va, and no other leaf.
5100 is a very popular blender. I think it was Russ Ouellette who said it was a Cavendish, but I don't know if he was referring to the cut,

or Cavendish processing, or both. It is more bread-like and, perhaps a little fruitier than the more grassy Virginia #1.

But Virginia #1 has more citrus tastes and carmel-like development as you smoke down the bowl.
If this is mainly about affordability, consider Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake. I like it and others give it high marks; and at about $28.00 a pound it is a pretty good buy.
Before you experiment with blending, why not try a tin of Former's Cross Grain Flake -- A VaPer. At $6.50 a tin, or so,

it is a slightly grassy Va with very little Perique. But it has been favorably compared to the old Capstan medium -- but

at half the cost ...of the current incarnation of Capstan, at any rate.
(FWIW, I have found that experimental blending is the most expensive and least rewarding aspect of this pastime.

The pros have made all the mistakes, so we can enjoy all their successes!)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Just a few thoughts...
Generally Virginia tobacco is very low in nicotine. Also, it's my understanding that plugs or flakes are the end result of a process, not something you'd START with.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'd definitely add some stoved va in there, if you check a few different sites you'll find members own mixtures.
Here's one from tobacco reviews from the stoved va review section
Having read a few reviews from some of you gents who tried a bowl of this by itself, I smiled at your one- or two-star ratings. This is meant to be a blending product! I'd highly doubt that many in the world smoke this by itself....

Try this for a really nice pound to age: 10 ounces of 5100 Red Cake, 4 ounces of this Stoved VA, and 2 ounces of McLelland's Blending Perique. If you like a stronger VaPer, by all means, add an ounce or more, and subtract it from the 5100. But, leaving the four ounces of 5105 is a key. Obviously, stoving hastens the sugar development, and yields real aging benefits. I have pounds of this aging at present, in varying strengths of Perique. I recently broke the seal on one of my Mason jars and went through a jar of the above blend that was merely 13 months old, and found it to be marvelous already. In a year or two, it'll be special, I believe. Will it be the next Escudo? Nah... but it will be a far more economical everyday go-to blend.
I'm a huge fan of Rattray's Hal-O-The-Wynd, and was happy to learn that Smokingpipes.com is now selling this in 17.5 ounce bags. I bought my first bag, mixed in 4 ounces of 5105, and have sealed the blend in more Mason jars. (Quart-sized) These funny little black sticks of stoved VA will help to soften the HOTW, and I'll bet that when I first smoke it, it'll be marvelous. A year should even make a great difference.
Making our own blends is fun, though highly subjective. But as a blending tobacco, I'm at a loss without 5105. I know of no other bulk stoved VA out there quite like this.
Then you could simply add some latika, depending on how much lat you like, some people like 10% Latkia, some people like 50%

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Ha funny that it was mentioned a couple times that CH is excellent for blending because that's actually what I've been using and really like it. I guess I'm just curious about VAs and mixing in general. At the moment I'm mixing CH and blending P&C perique with nice results. I was just thinking that my perique might taste better with VA instead of CH. I do like me some Carter Hall though it tastes very balanced burns good and it is solely responsible for getting me hooked on pipe tobacco. I guess I am just getting caught up with those who have said carter hall is cheap OTC. I think I will keep it around no matter what but I was looking for something a bit more thick and creamy than CH to make my mixes tastier and heavier bodied. Is there a mix that is similar to CH with more VA that is cheap by bulk?

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
C&D night train looks really tastey too I think I need to take a break from this hehehe! I'm getting farther and farther from my original pure VA idea.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
More votes for 5100 or Carter Hall. 5100 is delicious straight or as a mixer. CH is an inexpensive but satisfying blend that mixes well with just about anything.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I do a lot of my own blending and use 5100 as a base most of the time. I can't think of any straight Va's with a decent nic content. Stoved is supposed to typically be higher in nicotine but I don't notice it myself. Some of the Rattray's Va's are higher in nicotine to me for some reason. Marlin Flake and Hal O' Wynd come to mind. Cortez's recommendation for Newminster's Luxury Navy Flake isn't one I would have thought of but I like the suggestion. I have a lot of it and may just have to experiment. It's cheap and pretty good stuff. You can always increase your nicotine with burleys.

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
I was about to pull the trigger on the 5100 but then I read about how it's very mild and I want the backbone of my blend to have some umph! Kinda like CH but richer and creamier and bolder if that makes any sense. However I think I may be eluding myself at this point.. Oh we'll tomorrows a new day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wouldn't worry about the oomph in 5100. If you mix tobaccos, they will bring that up. CD's blending Lat

and/or Perique, some black Cavendish (Altadis B-20 or similar). Don't throw in everything. Usually two or

three tobaccos in pleasing proportions (to your taste) will do it. Same with CH. It's sort of like adding a

correct amount of red pepper and/or garlic to a dish, it brings up the flavor without masking the good taste

of the primary ingredients.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just now looking through this thread. If you're looking for either nicotine or just a substantial base for blending, 5100 is going to be too soft and mild. However, many of McClelland's English blends use 5100 or something very similar as a base.
In any event, I'd contact a retailer, like smokingpipes, and just tell them what you're looking for. Someone there should know about the various bulk VAs they sell. McClelland, by the way, has a number of bulk VA flakes and broken flakes that, at least visually, look more substantial than the 5100, which is a ribbon-cut.

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Ok I bought 8 oz of 5100 and 8 oz of H&H VA and 8 oz of H&H. Larry's blend just to try a blend of something new it a Va/bur/per

Status
Not open for further replies.