PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've recently dug some Virginia flake from my cellar, which I bought several years ago when I first got deeper into pipe smoking. I tried a bunch of blends at that time, and found myself drawn mostly to English blends, which is most of what I smoke now (if I'm not smoking Carter Hall in a cob, that is). Anyhow, now that my technique has improved, I am finding that I am greatly enjoying a good Virginia flake. The tastes are seeming even more nuanced than those in a good English. The flakes I'm smoking right now are McClelland's Christmas Cheer and Dunhill Flake. McC's is now out of business as everyone knows, and Dunhill Flake is nowhere to be found.
I'm looking for a good representative example of the Virginia Flake style. The notes I am appreciating most are the grassy, fresh-cut hay notes and the light "earthy" notes. I also like the fruity plum-like notes in the Christmas Cheer. Basically, I am liking everything about the flakes in my cellar. I look forward to hearing some recommendations from Virginia lovers.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I haven't tried that many straight virginia flakes yet, but the best two by far have been SG Full Virginia Flake and Capstan Blue Flake. FVF is more complex, darker, more difficult to master, but fits your description perfectly. It might also be difficult to find over there. Capstan is simpler, sweeter and one of the easiest flakes to handle. And It should be readily available, even in the U.S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Harris (cigrmaster) has posted an excellent list of Va flakes -- though red Va isn't represented.
For a decent economy bulk, Sutliff 507c is a sleeper.
Lately, I've taken to Dunhill Dark Flake (contains Perique).
Mac Baren's Va flakes are always a safe bet. HH Pure Virginia gets good reviews, but I haven't tried it yet.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Workman mentioned FVF... I actually prefer SG Best Brown Flake over FVF. I, too, love a good viriginia flake, and I've never been able to "get" FVF. Another good one is Sutliff 507C Viriginia Slices, which is very affordable and comes in bulk. Another good one is Mac Baren Harold Hallberg Mature Virginia. There are a lot of great VAs out there! Happy exploring!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think the bright leaf Virginia flakes would be best to start. Orlik Golden Sliced, Astleys 109, Wessex Gold Slice and Mac Baren Pure Virginia to name a few good ones. I love SG Virginia flakes but I don't recommend them to start. I'd recommend you dry the flakes as much as you think is enough and then dry them more, at least to start. Smoke slow, Virginia Flakes are less forgiving than English blends IMHO. The Harris list of Virginia flakes is a very good one.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Newminster/No.400-Superior-Navy-Flake/product_id/102422/bulk/
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5263/newminster-no-400-superior-navy-flake
:)

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
I prefer GH&Co’s Bright CR Flake over Gawith Full Virginia or Medium Virginia flakes.

Any of the brown flakes are nice too.

Haven’t had MacBaren’s HH Virginia Flake or Sutliff 507.

Maybe Solani VA flake is worth a try for what you’re looking for.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I give another vote to capstan blue. I just started smoking it about 5 months ago as I too have just gotten to the point of being able to appreciate VA flake tobacco. It has become a regualar smoke for me. Easy to smoke and decent nic.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Opening Night from C&D. Try a tin. I doubt you'll be sorry that you did.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2854/cornell-diehl-opening-night

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I love McCelland VA’s and the most heavily stocked blends in my cellar are 40th Aniversary and the Christmas Cheer I have stocked up on every year going back to 2002. I spent January through July trying every available non McC VA that I could get my hands on. For me it wasn’t even close- MacB HH Pure VA is my favorite VA flake on the market today. It neither bright nor dark, right down the middle. It’s also nice that all of the tins I’ve bought up through about a month ago have all been inner in 2015, giving a 3 year jump on the aging. It’s now my #3 most heavily stocked in the cellar.
Ted

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There's a few good straight-between-the-eyes Virginias left out there (obtainable). The Capstans are both lightly topped and fairly "bright" smoking compared to British style (Brown Flake) offerings.
Union Square from GL Pease and the aforementioned Opening Night from C/D are available - no nonsense middle of the road stuff.
Erik Stokkebye 1855 is uncased, a little sweeter and brighter than Union for sure.. more like the old Mellow Mallard from Dan.
But pickings are thin right now - the euro stuff gets bought up fast. Fribourg, Rattrays etc.
Oh the little yellow tin from Mac Baren, the "virginia flake" that stuff is real good too.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
My all time favorite it Capstan Yellow, as long as you don’t mind a slight topping taste. A refreshing smoke, especially in the summer.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Dunhill flake if you can still find it. Also, Wessex Gold, again if you can find it. GLP Union Square is also a good basic VA flake.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Another vote here for OGS. Nice and bright and its easy to find and relatively cheap. Also, it's already tinned up and ready to cellar.
Dunhill dark flake for a plummy, slightly spicy choice but it may not be around much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.