PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonsy

Lurker
Oct 27, 2014
my last name is Fonseca which just one of the many reasons I truly enjoy Fonseca cigars, particularly the cubano exclusivo, does any any one know of a pipe tobacco with a similar taste? the cigars in question is creamy, spicy, and just a little bit chocolaty with a strong, almost-cinnamon flavor though out.

I was told that cigar leaf just doesn't taste like cigars when smoked in briar, because of the dynamic between the wood, the cake, and the leaf. I have also heard that it is because the leaf has to touch your lips like a cigar does to get the full flavors. Either way, cigar leaf tastes completely different in the pipe. I have enjoyed most cigar blends in the pipe, but they just don't taste the same as a real cigar.
That said, I get the creamy, cinnamon-y, chocolatey taste from GLP's Key Largo. It is not an aromatic, but I think the whole aromatic thing came from a confusion. I think you meant a natural cinnamon-y flavor like you can get from an all natural red Virginia tobacco, as in McClelland's Red cake. Key Largo has cigar leaf in it, but don't expect it to taste exactly like a cigar. And, try it in different pipes till you get a diameter or just pipe that you like it in. This can be a finicky blend. But, I think you'll find those flavors that you're looking for.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Have you tried chopping up some Fonseca cigar and mixing it with some VAs? It won't taste the same, as others have pointed out, but I've put the cigar cap and a bit of filler into a pipe (with VAs) and it definitely tastes similar to the cigar itself.

Jun 4, 2014
Good luck on your search, I know many who are looking for the same thing. My best advise is to set back and enjoy the form of the leaf you are partaking in for its own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.