PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schreiber

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
Hello all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am somewhat new to pipe smoking and while I have previously smoked various "drugstore" blends, I am just starting my foray into the world of premium tobaccos. Though I am new to the world of pipe smoking, I have done a fair amount of research..I recently bought three more pipes and purchased Sutliff Voodoo Queen (I highly recommend this) a couple Dunhill blends and a McCellands Grand Orientals Classic Samsun (very impressed by the quality of this). Though I am new to this hobby, I do enjoy the taste of robust, smoky English-style blends such as Dunhill's nightcap..I love rich tobacco and am not afraid of flavor (I have been drinking and selling Islay single malts and wine for years so I consider myself to have a rather developed palate in this regard ). I have also reviewed Grand Samsun on tobaccoreviews.com under the same username. Thank you for reading thus far...
And so here is my question/request: I desire a blend similar in taste profile to Dunhill's Royal Yacht. In addition to having smoky Latakia-heavy blends on hand for regular smoking, I like to have something sweet occasionally (preferably non aro or light on the topping). I do very much enjoy the dried fruit, fig, raisin-like quality of this blend. However, even with very slow sipping (I've found that this is necessary in order to get the full spectrum of flavor this blend has to offer...it does burn quite hot).. this blend seems rather "thin" in flavor. I desire something with a richer flavor but of comparative sweetness and flavor profile. I am going to assume that a lot of the sweetness comes from the Virginia tobaccos used in this blend, in addition to the light topping. So I've been researching Virginia-based blends such as McCelland's Beacon. When I do encounter the full bodied tobacco, combined with subtle raisin like flavor Royal Yacht features, it's delightful but sadly these moments are few and far between..the smoke is lacking in richness. I was considering flue-cured virginia based blends, such asMcCellands "Beacon" as a potential contender.
TL;DR : I'm in need of a tobacco similar to Royal Yacht but richer....sweet and mouth filling.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Schreiber:
Welcome -- to the hobby and the forum! (I don't think you ever need to worry about "TL:DR" here. We have nothing but time for our fellow pipe smokers! :) )
I haven't smoked Royal Yacht since 1983. (Yeah, I keep a tobacco journal where I note such things.) But my memory, and the discussions here, leads me to think it's pretty much a uniquely flavored blend. It is sometimes lumped in with blends made in what's known as "the Lakeland style," because the two companies best known for this flavor profile are in England's Lake District: Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth. Lakelands are known for being perfumey, smelling and tasting like sachet and roses and other similarly perfumey scents and flavors.
If you're open to experimenting -- and it sounds like you are, since you've taken to Royal Yacht and a number of smokers can't stand the stuff! -- I'd suggest maybe trying a tin of Samuel Gawith's Kendal Cream. To me, Kendal Cream has some of the sweetness you're looking for, and it's definitely creamy, but it's also a quite stout flake that I'd call medium-strength in terms of its nicotine.
Another Lakeland, which I prefer, is SG's Ennerdale, which is available in bulk as well as tins. (Kendal Cream may be too; I haven't checked.) For me, Ennerdale has more Lakeland flavor but in a flake that is milder in the nicotine department. It is less sweet than Kendal Cream, though.
If you really want a punch, you might want to try Dark Scented Flake from Gawith & Hoggarth. Not as strongly flavored as Ennerdale but much stronger in nicotine; half a bowl was enough to convince me it was too much for me.
Bob

schreiber

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply, you've given me a few blends to consider. Never even heard of the "Lakelands" until now. The allusions to "soapiness" are interesting...Its truly amazing how many types of tobaccos we smokers are gifted with the fortune of trying.
I am interested in anything that is rich, sweet, and has dried fruit characteristics

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I should just mention that while SG and G&H make the vast majority of Lakeland-scented blends, not everything they do is scented. SG's Full Virginia Flake is one of the best straight VA flakes on the market. It has no "Lakeland" flavor/aroma whatsoever.
As for "soapiness". . . for most Lakelands you aren't going to have to go searching for this. It will hit you from the first one or two puffs. I can enjoy it for what it is, and I've actually gotten to the point where I occasionally crave a Lakeland flake. But I hope you can find something you enjoy, even if it might not be quite like Royal Yacht.
Bob

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only lakeland I've smoked (or should I say, attempted to smoke) is Hyde Park, and thankfully Royal Yacht is not at all similar. I have never heard of another blend that is close to RY. At first I too found the flavor somewhat monosyllabic, in fact it reminded me of cigarettes, which I abhor. It makes a great base for blending btw, I have added a rounded tablespoon of black cavendish to it and it makes a very nice pairing. The cav gives it a nicer room note, and just a hint of the vanilla flavor, while preserving the nice nic hit that cavs are lacking. Smoked straight, RY is for me a nice short smoke. Not something I want to load up a big bowl and sip for a couple hours. The new version of Three Nuns is an interesting change up from RY for me, although I would not describe it as sweet. It is however a nice, un-cased, unadulterated tobacco smoke. I've never tried a straight Va flake, because frankly RY does it for me in the strong Va category, and I'm not a fan of Perique.

Status
Not open for further replies.