PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
O.K. I need some input on a good rope tobacco that is still in rope form and not cut up. Is the MacBaren Dark Twist rope tobacco that has already been cut and can you buy rope tobacco in rope form? I could really use some help here.

I would think it would be an English blend and loaded with nicotine, which would be great!

Pics would greatly be appreciated..

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith both make ropes, but I'm not too familiar with them. I know the one I tried smelled (literally) like burning rubber and grease from a burnt steak. It was a long time before that smell left the pipe, and thats all I know about ropes.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Lonestar is correct about the two companies who produce most of the rope I know of.

It sounds like he had some "Black Rope" - it has a strong, unusual, lingering flavor.

There are various other kinds of "Brown Rope."

Of the two companies, I prefer to deal with Samuel Gawith.

anthony

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I've thought about trying them again, but going with something flavored like the cherry or coconut. Let us know what you end up with.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've had the G&H Rum Twist and Maple Twist. Very Vitamin-N heavy. Couldn't finish a single bowl. Not sure I could try again.
-Jason

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Ropes are usually full-bodied (strong) tobacco. The offerings from S. Gawith are strong. The Black XX Rope is not for the faint of heart: smoke this SLOWLY on a full stomach, and try a small amount in a smaller pipe first. I usually cut ropes into thin, coinlike slices and put them in the pipe and light. Don't pack too tightly. Even though the Black XX Rope is a very strong smoke, the room note is actually somewhat pleasant. The Brown XX is about the strongest pipe tobacco you'll ever find (barring Bad Nun from Synjeco). You may like it, and you may not. I like it, but not every day.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have not smoked any ropes, but from several years hanging around pipe web groups, billinsfl has it right no the nose.

I am not aware of any English blends that are sold as ropes. Crumble cakes and flakes, yes, but not ropes.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like the idea of twists or rope tobacco but the high nicotine scares me off. Mr. Snuff carries some twists in various flavors.
https://mrsnuff.com/store/gawith-hoggarth-c-186_188.html?osCsid=eed68135f6d9c58cf1d1899d55d350e2

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I've smoked the 'double rum twist'. It smoked right nice;id buy it again.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Your not likely to find any rope, actually called twist, that resembles an "English" blend.

As billinsfl sez, "usually full-bodied (strong) tobacco", twists are are made with whole leaf and the few I've tried are strong for sure!

SG Black XX and Brown #4, sock-knocker-offers with out a doubt, and milder in comparison to me G&H Brown Bogie.

I prefer using these twists as a condiment rather than by themselves.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with Jud and OTD; English blends and Ropes are two distinctly different animals. Or at least as far as I've seen.
Just curious, havanarick... is this something you've seen before or heard of? Or is this just wishful thinking?

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Well I am looking for any kind of rope tobacco, but would really prefer a tobacco that has a large dose of nicotine to it.. :puffpipe:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Well, THIS ONE was the one I tried and it fits your criteria. Heavy Vitamin-N, good tobacco taste with a hint of sweetness from the rum. If I wasn't such a nicotine lightweight, I'd probably enjoy this one more. Give it a shot.
-Jason

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Well I am looking for any kind of rope tobacco, but would really prefer a tobacco that has a large dose of nicotine to it
From what I know about the subject, "rope tobacco with a heavy does of nicotine" is redundant. :rofl:

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
I've only had G.H.'s Brown Irish X. The flavor was one dimensional, but pleasant. I remember malted, faintly sweet, coffee and nut sorts of flavors. I could never finish a bowl due to the Vit. N. Keeping the stuff lit was a problem, cutting into coins didn't work for me, even rubbing it out after slicing a coin into bits wouldn't do it. The moisture content was very high. Being a sailor myself and knowing this was a common tobacco among sailors I felt I was really engaging in a salty tradition. It was an interesting experience, but in the end this is too much effort and hassle.
Let us know how you find the old X.

Status
Not open for further replies.