PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I have been smoking a pipe for a few months now.Currently gaining more control,learning to relax with it.You see I quit cigarettes and picked up a pipe.I have been paying my dues trying to find a fit and a flavor.I started with liquor store tobacco.To be respectful I will not mention any of the intolerable tastes i have had mostly bitter and hot.I found a tobacco and cigar shop that offered quality tobaccos,so I decided to invest a few more bucks read some reviews and discovered Dunhill Royal Yacht and an aromatic house blend that I could not get enough of.I have 3 pipes a cheap filter no name pipe I bought at a smoke shop and 2 estate briars from ebay one a Kaywoodie gurgler and a Weber Canadian.The Canadian does not have a filter that fits I brought it in to the pipes and cigar store and they said it does not come with a filter,wow,kapuyaww.I am looking at a bulldog pipe on ebay it supposed to have a thick bowl.Will this help reduce heat?I have been working on my cadence and things have cooled off.Just eager to hear your impressions and experiences with a bulldog,Thank You.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hey McLuvin,
Welcome to the forum! Take this with a pinch of salt, I'm still fairly new so I'll let the real experts give real advice. My first pipe, a peterson, was thick walled bull dog, and as most newbies do I puffed hot and hard. It always kept pretty cool to the touch and the tongue. Hope this helps!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I love bulldogs and have several. To answer your question, yes and no. It will, for the most part, be cooler in your hand. I say for the most part because towards the end of the bowl the briar is thinner so if you smoke hot it will be hot there when you get there. Also, this is felt heat on your hand. If you are smoking hot it will still be hot inside the bowl and for tongue bite concerns. But, I tend to smoke hot as well and I do prefer the bulldog for the cooler hold.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Thanks guys,I am by all means a newbie but I have made a few discoveries.Aromatics do burn a little bit hot,the english I have tried seems to burn a lot cooler.I thought why not experience the taste of both worlds i made my own blend just a pipe bowl at a time so if I want the original back it will not be all mixed up and desecrated.To my amazement it was the best tasting slow burning stay lit stuff i have ever had,a good sipping.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I had a situation of a tobacco that was too strong and another that was too bland, and when I mixed them together and added some oriental for spice, I ended up with my favorite blend so far!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a big fan of the bulldog/Rhodesian shape (they make up 75% of my total collection). As mentioned, the Rhodesian usually has a little more meat around the bowl, but there's no real difference in smoking the two shapes. If you like the bulldog aesthetically, grab one.

I've grown to absolutely love bulldogs. They clench well, fit in a pocket and take a beating well. And, they have that "tough guy" clenched like a cigar aesthetic to them.
However, when I started, thinner walled pipes were suggested to me, because I could feel the heat through the walls of the pipe more easily, so that I could monitor my cadence to keep the fire cool. If you start off with a pipe, without being surrounded by other pipemen who can show you how to smoke without puffing, just allowing the smoke to drift idly into your mouth, you may develop the bad habit of puffing to get flavor, thus scorching your tongue.

A thin walled pipe can help you learn to SLOW down to keep the walls cool enough to hold. About 90% of the problems posted on here can be resolved by those two words "slow down," gurgle, bite, burn out, sour taste, etc. can all be attributed partially to just puffing too hard. If you think you're going slow enough, slow down more :wink: There is no other form of smoking like the pipe in that regards.
In the guys I smoke with, if you are making billowing clouds of smoke, people will think you're neophyte. But, if that's how you enjoy your pipe, so be it. You might just have a tougher tongue than me, ha ha.
Also, not all aromatics are created equally, nor Englishes. Not all are goopy, not all burn hot, and not all bite. And, the same goes for all of the other varieties. Most over-generalize this, because our first experience with these blends are the jars of tobaccos in the pipe shop. There are better quality aros, lesser quality lat blends, and even Virginias that don't bite. Go figure :puffy:

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Hello. Haven't posted for a while. But found your post and thought I'd reply. I have an Invicta bulldog and it is a great smoker. Sturdy, compact and neat in shape, it fits comfortably into the hand and mouth. It draws well and smokes great. The thick walls give a cool smoke and the solid construction gives confidence. Each smoke I've had in it has been wonderful. I can definitely recommend a bulldog. I've gone the way of smoking fast and furious and received the due penalty of tongue bite which lasted for a couple of days. I learned to slow down, enjoy the taste and savour the smoke.

Steve

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Huge bulldog fan here. Got a couple, both by Blatter & Blatter. They're a very old shape, from what I've been able to find out. They're a solid, masculine shape, and mine smoke well. I'd say go for one.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Johs makes a great affordable Bulldog, both smooth and partial rusticated.
Peterson Bulldogs are the cat's ass, I own several, from the small 150, to the larger than life XL13.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I have two bulls and a rhodie, they're good pipes. I don't use the rhodie too much as it's a bit of a pot and it doesn't play well with my flakes.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Most of my pipes are bulldogs, whether straight or bent. I love how they smoke, and love how they look. Most of all, I love how they fit my meathooks; nothing beats the feel of a bulldog in my hands.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
The best bulldog I do have is a BBB OWN MAKE VIRGIN 403.

I did dedicated this pipe with Dunhill Night Cap.

Very sharp shape, great smoker and coolist pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bulldogs are great pipes and I highly recommend them. But you shouldn't need a specific shape pipe to have it

smoke cool enough, if your pipes are made of briar. If one of your pipes is made of Brylon, I'd put that one aside,

and go with briar or cobs. Also, I notice you are a reformed cigarette smoker; congratulations! Many former

cigarette smokers smoke a pipe way too fast and make any pipe smoke hot. Slow down and go easy, and this

will cool off all your pipes (except Brylon) to an appropriate temperature. It's a big leap from cigarettes to pipes,

but it's worth it. I think you may still be going after that nicotine high, and once you wean yourself from that,

you'll have some nice cool smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.