Looking and looking but no pipe available...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

odanrot

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
First, I've learned more about pipes in this forum than I could have imagined. Thank you.
I have actively been looking for an American made pipe now for weeks. I've checked nearly all the links from this forum on the different makers that I like and none of them have pipes available. At least I can't find any.
Missed out on a BST pipe. Went to eat, came back and it was gone.
Have looked at every pipe on smokingpipes.com and can't seem to find an American pipe that is what I'm looking for. I've contacted several artisans but the waiting list is really long.
Any suggestions?
I'd like something like a Roush or a Cooke. Willing to pay for that quality. Definitely more interested in a unique, quality pipe in a billiard, apple, or traditional style. Is the best way just to commission and wait?
I also like most everything Castello makes. I know they aren't American makers, but the pickings seem to be pretty slim on the US side of things! It seems this board is pretty high on them but I don't understand their grading.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are some talented pipe makers on Forums, but if I name two, I'll overlook five more. You can tell from reading the posts.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
What BST did you miss? I know the guy who makes those, could probably pull a few strings.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'll borrow from my own website if it's not too pretentios:
"A friend of mine once suggested that the best pipes aren’t available. I told him the notion was ludicrous. His explanation was as follows: The best pipes are never available. They never hit the market. They are sold behind closed doors to waiting collectors. They are made bespoke for smokers. They are hidden away, not traded away. They are bought at shows immediately, never hitting the floor. They are essentially the secret dark side of the market. Estates? All pipes someone didn’t want. Those pipes up for sale on the big website? All pipes that didn’t get the secret nod-and-wink routine.
Now, this is obviously not precisely true. There are plenty of excellent pipes for sale and plenty of ways to buy them. Who knows which estate pipe was someone’s favorite in 1954? Lots of brands make lots of excellent pipes.
But the VERY best? Well…. Maybe he’s right after all. Maybe you have to dig those up for yourself somehow."

odanrot

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Thanks everyone! Great quote Sasquatch. It will be fun getting to know some of the makers on this forum...and buying some of their pipes!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
BST pipes are hand chiseled with sasquatch toenails, you don't find that level of quality and detail just any day of the week.

If that sasquatch guy above can't help you out, I would just contact Todd Bannard directly :nana:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try Bruce Weaver. Great pipes, and he's just a blast to talk to. Have 6 so far, and plan on many more.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I saw Clark Layton bite the head of a live chicken once. And Ryan Alden? Dude I saw him bite the head off a live WAITRESS. When that boy's hungry, you better have something in your pockets.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
In Clarks defense, it was supposed to be a rubber chicken, but a live chicken accidentally walked out on stage. In my defense, I am simply an awful person.

odanrot

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Thanks for all the leads....and the humor.
I've spent hours googling and visiting all of the makers websites that were tagged in another post. My challenge is that very very few have any pipes available on their website.
I think my solution is to connect with the makers works that I like (Sasquatch, Andrew Marks, Cooke, Roush, Weaver, Alden, etc) and see what they have coming up.
The good news for the community is that it appears demand is much higher than supply.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
That's your best bet. Most of us are always producing, and many of us are in frequent contact with a pretty steady group of buyers. Between commissions and steady sales off our own sites or retailers we deal with, there's not a hundred pipes sitting around to choose from.
That said, it always makes us feel special when someone comes around and says "Hey I like your work, you got anything cool coming up?" or maybe wanting to get going on a custom order. The truth is, there are a zillion choices and each and every one of us ought to be flattered any time ANY member of the community chooses us over the other options.

odanrot

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Sent you a PM Sasquatch. First time to use that feature here, so posting it here to make sure it went through.
As I've thought about it, it will make finding that one pipe from a maker you get to know even a better experience than just ordering off-line.
Happy 4th everybody!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
If you don't mind estates PM me, I have some leads I can give, no financial interest in this, cheers.

banjo

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Todd is right (ouch, that hurts to say out loud :D ).

Most who make nice pipes, and don't overprice them, don't have pipes laying around.

I try to list new pipes on my website on Fridays, so at least people know when to stop in. Usually what I list is sold before bed or by the time I wake up Saturday morning. So most of the time you won't find anything available unless your timing is just right Friday evening. I do most work by commission, but I'm trying to list more stuff on the website to give people a reason to check it if nothing else !

Status
Not open for further replies.