PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jexta

Lurker
Feb 24, 2016
Hello!
Only recently have I discovered how intricate the art of pipe smoking really is, and I am extremely excited to start exploring the different flavors and collecting pipes and such. The problem is I'm not sure where I want to start, so I figure I would ask the community here for some suggestions.
I ordered all the basic supplies and a couple corn cobs to start with so I'm good on gear (stuff arrives in 2 days!) but I only ordered a couple sampler packs that I'm unsure about.. I almost feel like I may have wasted money. It was a pretty random choice just so I had something to smoke once it all got here, but it was latakia stepping sampler, I think that is the more full-bodied stuff? anyway it says it comes with 3 tins, from mild to full bodied. I also got some Virginia style aromatic stuff which is the sweet stuff I think.
Anyway, what would you guys recommend as a starting brand/flavor for every style? I would like one of each, a full-bodied English (the rough stuff?) to enjoy with some coffee or liquor, maybe some aromatic Virginia stuff for a summer afternoon with a sweet tea, perhaps some medium blends to experience the in-between. Possibly burley stuff sounds good? or whatever kind has the hints of nutty flavors and such.
Super excited to start, but feel lost. Also, on top of some starting brands that cover the full spectrum of aromatic to full-bodied English, any articles or suggestions on stuff to look up and read to learn more would be appreciated. All I been doing lately is trying to figure out what the differences are between latakia,english,virginia,burley, as well as the varying types of pipes. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

jexta

Lurker
Feb 24, 2016
Also! if you could include the difference between flake and regular? I know the gooey stuff is aromatic for flavoring but I'm still trying to figure out what the differences between flaky or ribbon type tobacco is. Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Flake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBdA8XtoISM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Ribbon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKK4vF7kTo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Plug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWb2AmWvMOU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Crumble cake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00lLHMZ2-gU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Welcome!
For information and thoughts on different tobacco blends, I really like Public Piper: Public Piper on YouTube. You might check out some of his videos to get you started. Our friend Chris over at Confessions of a Pipe Smoker has a lot of good tobacco reviews for beginners too.
Regarding most of the mechanics, videos like Chasingembers shared really are the best way to get started if you don't have a local club or B&M. Then, it's just trial and error. I might be in the minority on this one, but I found starting with a cob difficult and pipe smoking didn't take for me the first time because of it. You might consider picking up a Dr. Grabow too. Those are about my favorite starter pipe and I found it easier to get the basics down with briar. But I know a lot of people do just fine starting with cobs.
Good luck and enjoy!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum! I've been into English blends so long I can't recommend others. You might see if ordering a sample from Pipes and Cigars is up your alley:

Here's the link.
Then there's a discussion onboard here of each tobacco.
Enjoy the journey, don't obsess over packing, or lighting, or anything!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chasing, no video of using the cube cut method? That is another way too smoke flakes.
For a beginner I always say go big or go home. Start with some great flakes and learn how to pack and smoke them.

Escudo, Astleys no 109 and Dunhill flakes are a good place to start. If you enjoy these then the world of flakes is your oyster. In my opinion rubbing out a flake is a waste of a good flake, as you are just defeting the purpose of a flake which is designed to give you a cooler smoke, than the other cuts of tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chasing, no video of using the cube cut method?
Just posted them to give answer to the OP's tobacco cut query. Let's not confuse the new guy....at least not yet anyway!

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I'm still fairly new to this but my first 'wow' moment with a pipe came courtesy of Orlik Golden Slice packed with the 'fold and stuff' method. I dried the flakes out a little beforehand and it was just the most amazing smoke, naturally sweet. If you're looking for something slightly towards the aromatic end of the spectrum then Erinmore Flake is also a favourite of mine. It has a fruit (pineapple?) topping but you still get the flavour of the tobacco.
I'm not best placed to give advice about English blends, I've had a lit of a love/hate relationship with Latakia. I notice that you don't mention Perique, I have come to adore va/pers but I understand that some are quite sensitive to it's spicy nature, my favourite is McClellands Beacon Extra.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forum and hobby, sir.
@styler, It is not pineapple in Erinmore Flake, all I can say, there is a huge variety of fruit toppings on that one for sure. I also like Erinmore Flake very much.

jexta

Lurker
Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for the information! I was unaware about flakes and the whole crumbling/drying. The tastes of how to do things seem to be very personalized, i suppose ill have to order a few tins of everything and just experiment with pairing / preparation methods.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I'm fairly new but would consider myself about a new intermediate pipe smoker (I can pack a pipe and usually keep it going with 1-4 lights per bowl and have tried about 40 different blends from all different ranges) As I've been smoking pipes for less than a year I can maybe give you some fresh tobacco choice tips. If I could do it over here's what I'd choose:

At least 3 different pipes (cobs ore great) for aromatics, english and other (cigar blends, virginias etc)
For a first choice aromatic I recommend something over the top and without bite such as Molto Dolce, McClellan's Vanilla Black Cavendish or maybe Autumn Evening(might bite but great maple).
For English I would recommend Billy Bud(latakia+ciagar leaf) , Dunhill Nightcap, or if you can find it Pensanze. The first two are available in bulk.
For other I pick Habana Daydream( a cigar blend with sweet Virgianias and a touch of Latakia), Elizabethan match (Va/per)
For Virgianias or Burley's im not there yet to say..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For English I would recommend Billy Bud(latakia+ciagar leaf) , Dunhill Nightcap, or if you can find it Pensanze. The first two are available in bulk.
Billy Budd is rife with burley and cigar leaf, not English in my book. Penzance is hard to get and expensive. Nightcap, like so many Dunhill blends, is resting on its fame from 50 years ago. Try John Cotton's blends, and almost anything by GL Pease instead.
And welcome to the forum!
Enjoy!

oldseadog

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
<p>Welcome to the forum,<br />
Tobacco choices hmmm? That's like saying what type of pizza should you eat? One can get the 1.15 cheap frozen pizza, or go all out and get a double stuffed Chicago style. Both are pizzas each can bring complete satisfaction to the person. So it is with pipe tobacco, you have your drug store over the counter " OTCs" like half and half, sir walter, the captain blacks, Borkum Riffs. Then you have other specialty tobaccos like Dunn Hill, CAO Lane, and the list goes on. For me I like dark cavendishs, a blend of dark and golden cavendish like Lane 1-Q which to me is almost and maybe the same as Captain Black Royal which is a OTC. I smoke both lane 1q and CB Royal. Those are my favorite. Others will chime in and share their favorites but starting out. A mild tobacco will be fine try out the OTCs for yourself. See what you like and dislike. Have a rotation of tobaccos. But it all boils down to personal taste. And buying a few Missouri meerschaum pipes is great too

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Try as many as you can, and be a diverse as possible. You'll either know what you don't like and trim your choices, or will be the ever-exploring pipe smoker. Wither way, have fun!
A reasonable way to start: visit your local B&M. Or a Tinder Box. Buy a little bit of everything. Also, join a pipe club and sample whatever people share :)

Status
Not open for further replies.