Looked In The Mirror Today And Got Quite A Shock!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This morning I had reason to look at my face quite closely in the mirror (having trouble with my left eye), this is not something I do often!
Anyway what I saw quite shocked me. The left side of my moustache is considerably darker than the right side. It is kind of ginger whereas the other side is a dark blonde shade. I can only put this down to pipesmoking as I always use the left side of my mouth and all of my pipes are either bent bulldogs or bent billiards so they would be quite close to my face.
Have any other moustache wearers experienced this I wonder?
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Haven't had it happen yet, but I suspect it will soon. My mustache is ginger-toned, fortunately the same color as nic stains. However, as I progress through my forties, I am getting more and more gray around the muzzle, so the same thing will likely happen to me.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
My nearly black moustache has gone totally blonde before due to (nasty) cigarettes. It is indeed caused by smoking!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
No change here, still salt and pepper. Becoming more salt than pepper but I attribute that to age not tobacco!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a flowering plant (tradescantia I think it is) that turns colors when it is in polluted air. Maybe this is like that.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
My mustache has always been ginger, my beard also ... even though I am dark haired. Not sure if the nicotine is the cause, but I guess nicotine can stain, yes. It is mostly obvious in gentlemen that have turned white already, their mustache being blondish. I have seen it before, though not my case. I have also met a professor in my first years as phd student, remarkable fellow when it came down to quantitative methods. I remember on our breaks he used to chain smoke, I could tell as his index and middle fingers were heavily colored on both hands. I suppose that it is a side effect of the habit.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Right edge of my moustache is all gingered out.
Urbandictionary even went as far as to give it a name, apparently. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shitstain

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
You don't say ... well the first person to call it that to my face might have a problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For some unknowable reason, this post edged me into growing a mustache, just to see what color it would grow in. Hair on head silver/gray/brown, transitional I'd say. I assume the 'stache will be approximately the same. If it makes me look gloomy, which caused me to shave it years ago, or if my better half doesn't like it, it's an easy fix.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Some sort of alcohol should dissolve whatever it is that is causing the coloring.
+1 ... Enough alcohol will dissolve everything into a sort of blurry haze. You pretty much won't give a shit what color anything is at that point.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"For some unknowable reason, this post edged me into growing a mustache, just to see what color it would grow in."
MSO489 it goes without saying, pictures will be required as proof of your acquiring a hairy lip :mrgreen:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.