PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I saw those. Too steep for my blood. Would love to score an empty tin some day. Nice, um Very nice!

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
It was actually given to me by a friend who doesn't like it for the going price of 2 Oz. at today's price. If you're actually interested in the empty tin pm me and we can talk.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
That was exactly the advice I was looking for Roth. Gonna pop it in a minute!

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
ROTHNH :

"Penzance will not improve with age, in fact some say it's much better fresh.
So if you're thinking of "saving" it with the hope it will get better, it won't. "
With all due respect, the matter of whether the blend improves with age is a subjective one, as it is a matter of ones' perception of taste. Without doubt, most of us agree that a Virginia or Virginia heavy blend will change in a manner that to most will be perceived as "improved", it is not an absolute and there are those who prefer a fresh blend, whether it is a Virginia or a mixture. To say that the blend "does not improve with age" as an absolute is perhaps a bit too definate. Certainly to us all it is clear that what anyone posts is just an opinion, yet there are those who will take those words to heart and never see what changes (and perhaps to them, improvements) will occur with Penzance or other blends that according to a respected member "do not improve with age". That would be a missed opportunity for those who may benefit from finding what changes do occur and if they do indeed find those changes make the blend more enjoyable for them. Just a thought I wanted to share.

As to aged Penzance, unlike many here I have found that I like Penzance fresh (usually after a bit of drying), but also do find the blend does broaden and mellow with a few years aging and I like it that way, too. Do I like it better than fresh? Some days,yes. It depends on what flavors I want to experience when I smoke it. The point for me is that it is indeed different after a few years of aging and that I can say with certainty. Will everyone like the changes? They are not profound, but in a word - no. But, will everyone prefer fresh over aged? In a word - no.

Smoke the tin, enjoy the tobacco, and let us know how it goes! Glad that you are getting the chance to try it!

Randy

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
One more thing...that sure has enough age on it to have mellowed the blend! If that's from '05 then we need to get you some fresh so you can compare it! PM me and we'll get it done!

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.