PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I am still wearing the helmet and sticking to the cul-de-sac for now, but I believe I've made some progress in my enjoyment of VA flake.
I've rubbed out and smoked some of the Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake about three times now.
Today, I was able to get the nice, even and mild "center of the bowl" light and work it slowly down to the bottom. Lots of nice flavors in there, getting all of the regularly mentioned characteristics. The grassy notes, the citruses, from lemon to orange and even into a sweeter bit of cherry-like tastes.
As many have stated, the perique is VERY subdued in this tobacco. Also, after the first half, it yields a bit and can tolerate a notch up on the puff and heat without attacking the tongue.
Alternating reviews debate the existence of a possible rum treatment. I'm not quite getting it, but it could be as light as the perique and easy to miss.
Also debated is the preferred bowl shape. Many choose a wide pot type. I'm still using the narrower and conical Viking Classic Dublin, which I've designated for VA's in general. I may need to experiment more there.
Still to come is the Bullseye Flake. Maybe tomorrow....
jay-roger.jpg

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I don't get the rum in luxury navy either.
It is a good smoke but a bit inconsistent. I have had batches that were very sweet, some grassy. Sometimes it bites, sometimes it doesn't.
Could be my nose from day to day, though.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I smell a hint of rum, but mostly just get the grassy citrus notes.
Pretty soon you'll be doing wheelies!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Shallow, many say the VAs are young and would benefit from aging. I imagine the inconsistencies could be age based, also.
I just rounded out a remaining half bowl of GH&Co North Star with some LNF and it's pretty good...
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.