PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What's the longest you've ever deliberated buying a particular pipe? I think it was three years I looked at a Johs blast bent Dublin, black with a stained briar band and a nifty angle to the brim. For some reason it stayed at the Iwan Ries site for that long, at $68 as I recall, and I finally bought it, maybe on their annual sale. It's a great light weight full-sized medium bowl with a vulcanite stem, everything I'd hoped. I never expected it to stick around that long, but figured I'd better pull the trigger on that one. What's your most delayed purchase on a particular pipe? In very few cases I've bought a pipe the same day, and with a few, at pipe shops, the same hour. Usually this works out all right, but once or twice, it was an impulse buy and didn't work out as well as one I'd deliberated, at least a little.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
4 weeks on one pipe. I'll admit that the anticipation of a purchase can be as rewarding as the purchase itself. However I have an addictive personality and once I pulled the trigger on that one pipe, the gates on my bank account flew wide open and I immediately went on a pipe buying spree and I just could not stop. But I can be like a old animal and my belly is full now for about another year so those little pipes out there in the wild are now safe from my hunting.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
My Aran 264 I bought a month ago. Took me a week to buy it. Then now lately I've bought a ton. Which will be slowly introduced to the fold. Two ehrlich's a Pete a Sasieni and maybe a lane charaton 320

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
My Savinelli Trevi 320- it would have been two years in December, but my wife picked it up end of last month for me. Beautiful pipe but a little expensive for someone who's used to purchasing estates for under $30 . Well worth the wait.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
A few years back, I was enamored with a Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2009 bulldog. It was on Smokingpipes.com on the estate listings for 6 months, then it went on sale and I bought it. That is one of my favorite pipes now.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
If you don't count layaway pipes which were 3 months then it would be 7 weeks for the Sabina Santos 2nd Anniversary Morta with plateau briar accent.

banjo

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There was a tobacconist a block away from the station house. They had a meer I admired for a few weeks every time I walked passed the store. A gimmick pipe, carved mermaid (I was young), small bowl, too ornate, etc. Took that long to decide to pull the trigger. Walked in to buy it and it was gone.
Short story: My then fiance had purchased it and hidden it away for my birthday. So, I got it but, never purchased it. Too small a bowl, it's a nice smoker, not a pipe I'd buy today as it's ugly and uncomfortable today. Still, the most cherished pipe I own.
Normally it takes about 10 minutes between discovery, inspecting and purchase.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Three pipes that I noticed with 7 days to go in the auction on eBay were my best wait. The photography was TERRIBLE; really blue and out of focus. But there was something about them. One was a straight Dublin that had noticeable grain. The second was a Mastro de Paya by the silver loco on the stem, a bent Dublin. The third was a lovely shape but I could not tell the maker, another bent Dublin. I kept thinking the Dublin Trifecta. As it turned out the first was a no name that smokes great and has lovely flame grain. The second was indeed a Mastro de Paya and it cleaned up to practically new. The third is a Preben Holm Traditional 200 and is absolutely flawless. All for $70. If they had turned out to be dogs, well that is a different story. Love these pipes and they are often in the rotation. I pulled the trigger 10 minutes before the auction ended!

I am a relatively new pipe smoker and after collecting around 60+ in total. I have decided to not buy any for the next year but focus on tobacco. Let's see if it lasts or not. I still have 3 commitments which may happen in 2016 but I wont be buying anything off of ebay or anywhere else.
Chris

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I started pipe smoking in April of this year. So far, once I decide to add another pipe, I determine my budget, then choose one. So not much deliberation. But there are several costly Italian pipes I want. Money is the delaying factor. I'm intrigued by Churchwardens, but I suspect it'll be a while before I buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.