PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
As the title says, I registered this account a long time ago, my deployment last your to be exact, and I've just now gotten the nerve to try and contribute to the forum here.
I started pipe smoking on that previous deployment, but I had messed around with my late paternal grandfather's pipe long before enlisting. I quite like how it felt in my hand and messing around with the stem in my mouth while I did school work was pretty enjoyable. As of now the stem broke off in the shank after it fell of the kitchen counter onto the tile floor, much to my dismay. Now since my folks divorced it remains locked up in storage somewhere, but I'm determined to find the damn thing and get it restored and repaired.
Now then, I had originally started smoking with cigars, and I still do smoke them on occasion, but messing around with grandad's pipe got me more interested in pipe smoking, even if I did play a lot of Metal Gear. I had been wanting to try pipe smoking for a while, but military life had me moving too fast to pick anything up before I was shipped out. Luckily, my mother visited a tobacconist in San Luis Obispo, and the gentleman there set her(and by extension, me) up with a few of his aromatics to try and a lovely bent Crown Billiard, which is still one of my favorite pipes. Since then I've gotten my hands on a couple of other briars, one cheap and one very pricy, and plenty of cobs.
When it comes to tobacco, I'm learning to rotate what I'm smoking throughout the week. It reminds me of some advice one of the SNCOs gave me about tasting different spirits, you need to drink them in succession in order to notice the differences better. I can tell you this, Doug's Abbey blend is a whole other animal after smoking 965 the previous day. So now a modest amount of my pay goes towards procuring all sorts of tobacco I haven't tried yet(especially after what's happened with the FDA), and I thank my family for being patient enough to hold onto that stuff for me until I get get it.
Till then my predilections is for English blends or very burley heavy ones.
I'm looking forward to a smooth end to my enlistment and chatting with you guys(and gals) here.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So now a modest amount of my pay goes towards procuring all sorts of tobacco I haven't tried yet

Yep, spoken like a true piper.
Cheers and welcome. Like you, I lurked on this site for 2 years before joining. Glad you finally made the plunge to join in.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, that we does, Mike! Our sandpit dot-mil brother, though, sounds like he's got an "allotment" bouncing back to his vendors of choice. -chuckle-
I picked up some of the lesser McClelland brands while looking for some different aros recently. Not quite to the "sweet spot" I was looking for. Even bassbug didn't want them! -laugh-

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Eons ago, I was four years in college, then four years in military, then two years in grad school. I think I moved nine or a dozen times, so my personal belongings were strewn across the landscape or lost. So your mobile life reminds me of that time in my life. I'm glad to know you've landed in a place where you can have a row of pipes and some blends to choose from.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks for surfacing, and welcome to the Forum! Where have been deployed? What’s your MOS?

I'm a 2841, which means I fix radios and radio accessories for a living. I've "deployed" to Kuwait and Iraq, but honestly for all the bluster of the Command, I can't honestly call them deployments. I just fix things while the grunts stand post and occasionally blow up innocent piles of sand. I'm learning to be ok with this(typically on a windless, quiet night away from everyone with my favorite pipe and good tobacco). Sure, one joins the Marines with the intention of being a lean, mean killing machine, but as I've reached the ripe old age of 24, I'm just fine with staying in the rear as people shut up and let me do my job.
Now my main concern is putting together a very good F$!K YOU! Fund and moving to flyover country where I can be the crotchety old hermit I was born to be.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
yuda, fixing things is a high calling. I wish we had more people capable of repairing all the stuff that gets discarded at the first malfunction. Likely the Corps knows what they have in you. A lot of gear is working for troops under fire that otherwise wouldn't be. That's lives saved right there. Leave an open mind on your future. Introversion can be good, and you may not have begun to explore all of your abilities and capabilities building on what you are doing in life. Open up, don't close up, and you may amaze yourself. Pep talk over.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Hey, if it weren't for the "REMF" semi-conductor fixers we'd have a heckuva lot more friendly fire incidents than we do. To paraphrase Jack Ridley, "you go ahead &fix 'em, we'll bust 'em!" Good man!

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
@Yuda, WELCOME to the forum, and as an amateur radio operator, THANKS for your service.
Enjoy!
CW

Status
Not open for further replies.