PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Anybody storing long term in sealed Mylar bags?
I've been looking at sites where they are sold, and it's fairly inexpensive.
Supposed to be able to keep food fresh for years.
I'd be interested in hearing if anybody does this.
Edit: I fixed your title. Please check out rule #9 (Cosmic)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I just opened a 10 yr. old Iwan Ries Perma-Moist aluminized mylar bag holding about 8 oz. of Hal O'the Wynd.

It was drier than when I originally bagged it, but it wasn't crunchy. I'm of the opinion that I should have checked on it sooner.

I've held tobacco in these bags before, but only for a year or so, with no ill effects.

foil_cigar.png

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There has been a great deal written on these pages about the relative merits of tobacco storage in Mylar bags. Use the PipesMagazine Custom Search Function to do some further research.
Short answer: The better quality Mylar bags (3-5 mil Mylar laminate) are great for storing tobacco. The weak link is the zip seal, especially after being opened and re-closed a few times. For long-term storage, the bags should be vacuum and heat sealed. FoodSaver-type bags are not Mylar and and are not recommended for long-term storage.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I bought a hundred bags (waiting for delivery). These are often used by preppers long term storage. I am also using some PET BPA free plastic jars. They should both do fine for the rest of my life and time for my kids to sell them.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'd be careful with plastic jars. Just because the plastic claims to not contain BPA, doesn't mean that it's suitable for long-term storage of tobacco. Most plastics are not oxygen barriers the way mylar laminate bags are, and many plastics are susceptible to absorbing chemical components of tobacco. You can see this in the cello wrappers of aged cigars, for instance. Latakia will do this to most plastics, as will many aromatics. Glass caning jars, tightly packed, are still the cheapest and best way to store pipe tobacco.
And be careful about the zip seal on Mylar bags. After a few open-close cycles, many of them become unreliable.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
"Can you not just double bag in a high-quality Ziploc's?"
No, not for long term storage. They don't seal all that well and the plastic is a poor vapor barrier. 5 mil. thick aluminized mylar bags properly heat sealed are far superior and functionally equivalent to glass jars. In addition the Mylar Pro brand of bag has a zip seal superior to ordinary freezer bags and will keep newly opened tobacco fresh for much longer, six months at least in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.