PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We all know about jars and tins for pipe tobacco, and humidors for cigars, but what of chewing tobacco, nasal snuff, dip, etc.? Are there long term storage options for them, or should they simply be jarred as well?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I haven't found anything better than a jar for storing anything except cigars. Works well for okra too.

May 4, 2015
I made some homemade dip and it's been in a mason jar in the fridge for about 5 months. No problems and it's better every time I access it.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I haven't found anything better than a jar for storing anything except cigars. Works well for okra too.
Check out this one :)
m-cj02_view2.jpg

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I store my cigars in mason jars. You have to lay the jar on its side though otherwise the cigars will get a bend to them. I have a Boveda pack in one jar while the others are just cigars nothing else. After 5 years (just took a few out) there is no difference between the Boveda and non Boveda jar.
As for dip: I keep quite a few mason jars of dip too. Some have O2 absorbers and some don't. There has been no mold at all and they are several years old. With dip it is probably hit and miss because each manufacturer has different levels of humectants/anti- microbials added. My dip is homemade so I know what's in it.
And just for fun.. I have a few MM Mark Twains (with Ebonite stems) in mylar bags with O2 absorbers.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
As with pipe tobacco, you can get good prices buying nasal snuff in bulk. Large quantities are best stored in a jar and portioned out in smaller quantities as you need it. Most snuff is sold in ~25g tins and if you can get through it fast enough it does not need to be jarred. I decant from 25g tins into smaller tins or a snuff box and keep the tins in an old cannister style humidor to prevent drying out. There are also smaller tins of varying sizes that don't need to be jarred either provided you use them up in a reasonable period of time. Artisan snuff is best stored in the refrigerator as they can be prone to mold.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
jvnshr, that is the exact humidor I have. I smoke cigars so rarely it is all I need. My wife bought me a 20 pack of cigars last August and I'm certain I still have 12-14 left.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just purchased 200 grams of chocolate snuff, and used an empty jar to store it. Scoop it into my snuffbox every couple days.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
@foolwiththefez, I wanted to buy that one once, there was a good sampler deal however I changed my mind easily after seeing this deal. 10 cigars + humidor for $19.99? I had to jump on it.

May 4, 2015
I also haven't tried snuff, but it's on my list. I've never met a form of tobacco consumption I haven't liked. I smoke cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chew tobacco, and dip (pouches or homemade) at various times throughout the day. Tobacco is my friend.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
@jvnshr That is a good deal. I needed a humidor quickly when I bought my acryllic one and I bought the first cheap one I saw. It has served me very well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.