PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
Has anyone tried vacuum sealing a tin?

I have a few tins of the Peterson Holiday Season, the bag inside of the tin is not really sealed so this needs to be jarred for any kind of storage, it occurred to me that it might be nice to keep one or two tins 'intact' and I have one of the food saver vacuum sealers, will this work? Is it a bad idea to suck all the air out?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
There is quite a bit of debate on the roll air plays in aging. Some people vacuum their tobacco, others do not. Aros and Latakias seem to fade with long term aging. I suspect that Oxygen is responsible so recently I've put some Oxygen Absorbers in my Mylar bags that contain Latakia or Aros. We'll see in about 10 years. In theory the tobacco will not age (without oxygen), but then again it should not fade in flavor either.

Ha ha onestrangeone, bringing up vacuum sealers has started many a fight on here.

All in all, I don't think there's any hard evidence on much concerning aging tobaccos. But, there are many hard fought beliefs. I think jitter is right. You're probably no looking to age that aro. So, do what you think is best, and report back after a few years. It's your tobacco, do what you want. But, I wouldn't suggest to anyone that they go out and buy that system just for tobacco. If you already have it, use it.

Sep 18, 2015
Lol, Your right ageing is NOT my goal here, I am simply trying to store this for later use and not lose any of the flavor.

At the rate I am smoking pipes it's likely to take me several years to burn thru this, I am not super into most of the aro's although I have found a few I really like. I like variety and have a lot of different stuff to work with and I usually only get around to the aro's once a month or so.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
You just reminded me that I have a tin or two of that Peterson Holiday stuff and I was going to jar it or do something with it and never did. Its from last year. I wonder if its still good? And why the hell don't they seal them? :puffy:

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Type this in the search engine you will find post after post about this. I for one know what works for me but I will not join this debate again.

Sep 18, 2015
I will try the search function, It was not my intention to kick a hornet's nest into the campfire.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are dozens of Forums members who know more about this than I do, but my suspicion is that you won't gain a lot of ground over a good canning jar filled pretty full but not to the top. A little air does little damage. Of course it's down in the leaf and not just at the top. That's likely to keep it as long and as well as you want. Can vacuum sealing it have its uses; I'd bet it does, but we're talking about long term storage in inclement situations where there's too much humidity or heat otherwise, or extremely long range storage that isn't especially relevant to a regular pipe smoker. If you have the equipment and like the extra process, it could be fun, but I am extremely skeptical it is ever/usually necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.