PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I recently bought a proper churchwarden pipe. After experimenting with the Cobbit series I decided to try a full length churchwarden and I like it. Only problem is, it seems that the stem likes to clog up. I eventually used a coat hanger to run through it and out came this wad of what I believe is pipe cleaner lent and either a piece of tobacco or tobacco residue that had built up from smoking.
Am I doing something wrong here cause this happened on my Cobbit Elf pipe too. MM was nice enough to replace the pipe but I got to fighting with the old stem and found the same kind of wad pop out of there. Am I not letting the pipe cool enough before running a cleaner through it or is it the opposite and I need to run a cleaner through there sooner?
I use the BJ Long pipe cleaners. I have some of the Zen bristled cleaners for when I do a deep cleaning of a pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forget about pipe cleaners, then. Flush with hot water, ideally when pipe is still hot, but it's fine, too, if the pipe is cold. The airway will dry overnight in most instances, but blowing through it just after the flush will help remove some droplets.

Jan 8, 2013
I use a cleaner, both sides, sometimes two cleaners, immediately after I finish smoking. Then I blow hard through the stem and that usually removes any tobacco or pipe cleaner fuzz that get's pulled into the airway. Quick and easy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If the stem is acrylic, hot water is perfectly fine, but it's it's vulcanite, do NOT use hot water. What you need is the proper tool. BJ Long makes chruchwarden length pipe cleaners and also spools of pipe cleaner that you can cut to length:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/index.cfm?tag=1338
That will take care of keeping the airway clean on your churchwarden.

Jan 8, 2013
and also spools of pipe cleaner that you can cut to length:
I always forget about those. I normally use churchwarden length cleaners. For my standard sized pipes I simply cut them in half. Works great. The problem is my meerschaums are huge, so I have to use a full warden sized cleaner for those. But I'm still wasting a lot of the pipe cleaner that way. I always think to buy the spool when I hear about them, but always forget when it comes time to purchase more. Thanks for the reminder. I may just order some tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.