PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Any Ham Radio guys on the forum? I got my license several months ago but dont participate much, trying to learn more about this hobby too. Smoking a pipe and listening to the radio is enjoyable though.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Any Ham Radio guys on the forum? I got my license several months ago
Congratulations First. I have been a Ham for 16 years. It has been a lot of fun. What is your licence class?
jaysin
been thinking about geting licens for it how hard is it
It is much more easy then it once was. A knowledge of basic science does help but is not necessary. Check for a Amateur radio club near you. They conduct classes and give exams also.
KC7HKU :puffy:

firstwordisee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2012
Loneredtree is right, it is not as hard as it used to be, you dont need to know morse code anymore. With the internet I figure they need to do all they can to keep the hobby alive.
I am a tech Loneredtree, KJ6NAY.
I am having some issues with equip at the moment though.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Philip KF7STS
I received a Tech licence November last year. I use a hand held now. Next year I would like to get a mobile rig for the boat when I upgrade to a General licence.
I'm with you, Firstwordisee... always trying to learn a little more about this hobby.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I am not, but my grandfather is (W5FJK) and my uncle was(W5FJJ), prior to his death in 1995. They got their licenses in the late 1950's, I believe. I do know my uncle was the youngest person to get licensed in Texas at one time, or something to that effect.
My mother just got her license, whatever the lowest level is, and got my Uncles old call sign.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
W8MDE Been ham since 2008. I Work mostly CW (Morse Code)(Morris is the cat :)) And also some digital modes on HF. It's a fun hobby and nows the time to listen or participate as we are nearing the height of the 12 year solar cycle. In other words a little power gets you all around the world. Check out my bio page at qrz-dot-com.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
KF5EQV here,
Technician class. I Don't really get on the air much, mostly I'm just a nerd for the technical aspect of radio comms. It's good to see so many other HAMs here!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I am not, but I have a buddy on another forum that is, and he has a fully working radio from a German U-Boat! He says both it and the batteries are extremely heavy. I told him he should crank it up and see if he can contact a ship! Hello, this is U-237, what do mean you won't give me your 20?

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I guess I should get my ham ticket again (I was WN7LPD)might be fun.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
KF7AIN here in Salt Lake City, UT. Tech license for now. Want to get at least General. Not on much and I misplaced my handheld's charger during the move.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
SWL as a kid. Most of my occupational life was technically supporting radio, telephone, and tv. Worked LOS, and Tropo-scatter microwave comm in the signal corps. I regularly attend Pa and NJ Hamfests to get hardware, components, and soldering supplies for hobby use. But.....never a Ham; too introverted.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
N4TNR, Tech Plus. Not really active now, but I will always keep my ticket. Still plan on testing for General someday, especially since 25 WPM code dropped. ... -.- :)

Status
Not open for further replies.