PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Alright calling all tobacconist on this one I recently messaged papipeguy on this one but back in 2003 there was a store called ye old tobacco barrel in the king of Prussia mall. Well this store closed years ago but they had an aromatic blend called angel food cake and needless to say that was the bag note the taste and room note....I am looking for this blend.. Any help would be great thanks Shane.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Your note got me thinking about similar sounding blends. Boswell has one called Cupcake http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5656/boswell-pipes-tobacco-cupcake

It may be worth a call to Boswell and tell them your story. you never know Cupcake could be an homage to Angel Food Cake so someone there may remember it. Boswell is only 2 hours away from King of Prussia.

Good luck with the hunt.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I can appreciate what you're going trough. My all time favorite blend was from Lane Ltd. and discontinued in the early 1980's. I'm still looking for it's doppelganger.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Just frustrating if I knew then what I know now... I would have bought lbs and cellared the blend... At least with a sample I could get someone to make a match.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Have you tried smelling the bulk jars at your local Tinderbox or whatever? Chances are that it was a Lane tobacco. 1-Q and other popular blends go by myriad different names in various tobacco shops.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A lot of Altadis blends get rebranded per shop. I'm guessing there's a Vanilla something or something Vanilla that'll ring that bell of yours.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yea I'm hopeful I can find something similar it's not even the concept of wanting the aromatic because lately I've been smoking English blends more frequently but just the nostalgic effect of the blend.... Just brings me back to the first real pipe I bought a mini Czech churchwarden walnut prince bowl... Good time.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I understand. Nostalgia is such a big part of pipe smoking -- maybe because smell is such a strong trigger for memory. Best of luck, I hope you find it.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Update on this pipes and cigars weren't able to come up with anything I did however message dan at Boswell pipes they seem to hit aromatics on the head every time so hopefully he can come up with something.... I know they have cupcake but the angel food just had a little spice to it.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
So did some research and found a blend that was made in the 1800s-1900s by th name of angel food cake.... This was made by Daniel Scotten and Company which was later bought out by continental tobacco and was named their norther territory. Now who knows if this is the long lost blend I am looking for. But pretty much the faucet stops at continental because I know nothing about them. Many people have said if it was bulk most likely was lane but a merge here and a merge here many recipies were cut.... Wishing someone would have some further knowledge on this subject. I can only imagine this blend was a cavendish with a splash of black cavendish Virginias and burley of course.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
This is a loooooong shot but... Get on some social media groups and ask if anyone heard of Ye Olde Tobacco Shop in PA. Then ask if anyone knows who the owners or employees were. You might eventually find the guy that was doing the blending.

Status
Not open for further replies.