PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
No politics intended with my post ... with all the recent deaths, I found some comfort in at least one piece of news.
Queen Elizabeth II, "by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the faith," celebrated her 90th birthday today!
Long live the Queen and a salute to our friends across the Atlantic. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Elizabeth II is the reason the English monarchy has retained as much support and morale as it has. Despite a husband who is helplessly tactless, and an oldest son who has had a turbulent personal life, the Crown now has a long line of succession and a rather stable role in its nation and Commonwealth. I'm completely content that the U.S. gained its independence in the 18th Century notwithstanding. But this queen's determination and selfless sense of duty is quite remarkable. Despite the wealth attached, anyone with sense would have to think long and hard about trading places with her. To paraphrase the Dylan Thomas poem (he was one of her Welsh subjects) she: "...dances in her chains like the sea."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your public persona is settled at birth. Plenty of royals in European history, but also in many other cultures, have jumped the track, but all of their lives and all of their choices are in the frame of that birthright. Everyone else gets to shape, evolve, and discover their being, however modest or obscure, which is really a central adventure in life.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Another "hear, hear!!"!!! I actually remember watching the Queen, well, Her Majesty's Royal Yacht Britannia, pass by on the St. Clair River between Port Huron, MI, and Sarnia, ONT in the late 1950's. I was very young at the time and was quite disappointed when everyone started murmuring, "Here comes The Queen!" and all I saw was a fine, fancy ship! But everyone waved as if the Queen was watching and waving back!" This was also before the Maple Leaf flag... Canada's flag included the Union Jack! Finally, I wonder if the Royal Yacht had a supply of Royal Yacht on board?! I bethya dimes to donuts, they did! Another HEAR HEAR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.