PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I travel quite often to London and Munich on business. I just have to say that the pipe shops in London are disappointing. I have visited four several times on my trips. They are: Dunhill, J.J. Fox, Davidoff, and Segar & Snuff. Forget Dunhill, its a clothing shop that has some Dunhill pipes for a novelty factor. Davidoff and Fox both hade nice selections of tobaccos. However, there pipe offerings are rather bland and the same. Mostly Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell and Dunhills. Maybe some BC, Chacom and other low end pipes thrown in. Not much for better Italian pipes (Radice, Castello Ascorti, etc.), and Stanwell seems to be the only Danish pipe represented.
Compare this to Pfeifen Huber in Munich. They have so many names and brands they can't display them all. They will pullout drawers and drawers of pipes to show you. Their inventory and breadth of selection is fantastic.
That being said, I did rather enjoy the closet sized shop of Segar & Snuff right at the Covent Garden market. The guys working there were nice, they had a nice selection of their own tobaccos as well. Cool little shop and a great place to stop if you are there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'd think London would have at least one pipe shop that outdoes anything in the U.S., with all the tradition behind it.

There should be one with unparalleled inventory of Dunhill, Parker, Hardcastle, Barling, Comoy, Britannia, etc. They should

have house blends you can't get anywhere else. They should have house pipes to rival any, at medium prices. And they should

have experts who are incomparable. Instead, I think Nat Sherman in Manhattan and Iwan Ries in Chicago have London beat. Sad.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tradition is the correct word. I find the English be very conservative when it comes to pipes. Perhaps that's why I feel at home there and in Ireland. Miville pipes are quite conservative when you look them over and they do stray a bit from standard shapes but, they are always understated. You won't find big, old freehands in the UK unless you look very hard. The manufacturers and retailers know their customer base. I've only seen pipers in Ireland and England with with understated pipes and usually in very conservative shapes.
England, particularly London, is not the place I'd go if I was looking for flamboyant or ostentatious pipes. But, for my conservative tastes I always find pipes I wouldn't mind owning in the UK and Ireland. Poor old Iwan Ries has to cater to a myriad of tastes when it comes to pipes and blends. The English only have to serve customers who are pretty well set on standard shapes and a blend or two of great English blends. It's a much different world than the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.