London. New pipe, tobacco & chicken curry.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Went along last weekend to the other venue (the swan) of the london pipe club meet up.as much as I enjoyed my other visit at fox's tobacconist, much preferred my few hours at the swan. Lovely little village, one street,one shop & two pubs! Very important to have two just in case you get kicked out of one. The meeting was held in a room above the pub which doubles as an art gallery, the many exhibits gaining a smokey antique sort of look with everybody's pipes chugging away. Lovely friendly atmosphere, the chaps from northern briars & sam gawiths were there chatting to everyone & selling their wares. An extremely generous raffle was held & everybody it seemed won something. On top of that a group of fine girls made sure everybody was fed & watered. I had the chicken curry if anybody's interested, & left with a northern briars london pipe club pipe & a good selection of gawiths baccy. If like me you love london but find it a right royal pain in the arse to get to, get yourself down the swan highly recommended.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
That's the trouble with living next to such a big river, take some crossing that will! That's the one that keeps rolling, just keeps rolling right?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I must say I am rather partial to a ring burner and a few beers although I am surprised in this day an age you were allowed to smoke indoors.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
You should be ashamed of yourself. An Englishman should be having steak and kidney pie. Or at least a few bangers.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
No matter what anybody says whatever laws they lay down, there will always be an England!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hussar! That's the spirit up an at em! Thanks death metal for taking the trouble to post that. Gave me right old laugh. Not too sure about the singer though, if I was in battle with him, I'd want him in front of me & not behind me. If you know what I mean?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
London is one of my favorite cities to visit. I'd love to share a pipe and pint with Andy Stewart and the fine folks at the London Pipe Club. Ah, perchance to dream.....

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
simong - it was great to see you again and thanks for bringing along the 60-years-old Edgeworth RR. A real treat and not something I ever thought I'd see, especially in this country. The PCOL meetings at The Swan are always a great get-together and - for the benefit of Mr Plod the Policeman - of course we DON'T smoke indoors!
The next Country meeting on 12th December is the Christmas Lunch, courtesy of Rita and the girls, so should be a cracker. Given that the Town meeting at JJ Fox in Mayfair happens to fall on the same week (Tuesday 8th Dec.), a lot of members will be smoking quite a few Yuletide pipes!
John, it would be a rush to be able to introduce you - or any other visitors - to the Pipe Club of London, especially if we could get you to a Saturday meeting. There are still a few real gems in London where you can eat, drink, and smoke without having to change seats! However, failing that I very much hope to get to a Lehigh Valley Pipe Club meeting in 2016, once my new employer decides when exactly he wants me to get over to NYC.
Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Andy, just let us know when you'll be here and we'll get the fellows together. Calling an impromptu meeting for a visiting dignitary is no problem.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
LOL thanks John - I certainly will!
Simon - even if I didn't want to (and I do!), my new employers apparently insist that I come over. The last time I worked in NYC was 18 years ago, so I imagine a few things have changed...
Andy

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In a word yes! The place resembles Disneyland now as opposed to a film noire set of days of old. I must say its has lost a lot of its charm and allure compared to when I first moved here in the 1990s. Let me know when you are coming and we can get together although I suspect I will see you in London well before that time mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.