PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
My recent interest in old English Bulldogs led me to this poor neglected puppy. This pipe dates to sometime before 1967 as far as I can tell. There is still more work to do but it is coming along nicely. I wrote in another thread about the difference between restoration and preservation, so I am not sure if I will sand the rim to bring it to round and possibly re-stain the pipe. What are your thoughts?
Before -
18521818-orig.jpg

18521820-orig.jpg

18521819-orig.jpg

After
18521802-orig.jpg

18521803-orig.jpg

18521805-orig.jpg

18521804-orig.jpg

18521806-orig.jpg

18521808-orig.jpg

18521807-orig.jpg

Don

I've seen the term "English bulldogs" in association with these pipes a couple of times. My research shows that they were first frased in France, and the most classical of shapes for these are French made. And, all of my really old (100+ years) bulldogs are French made. Are people just confusing these with the wildly popular dogs? Or, did they somehow become English?

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I always hesitate with advice, as I don't want to upset someone

Thank you.. how else will we learn? Thin skin does not belong in a forum when asking for advice.
I've seen the term "English bulldogs" in association with these pipes a couple of times

I used that term because it is a Bulldog, made in England.
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The crap is very well deserved, I did not realize just how much rounding occurred on that stem from using Micro Mesh.

You are on to something about only using toothpaste and your thumb!
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Forgive me, it was Embers who only uses toothpaste and his thumb...

for good reason.
Don

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Don, what crash said. If you work with the stem on the pipe, tape off the shank so as not to damage the finish. Or, if you work with the stem off the pipe, I would highly recommend carefully watching George Dibos' videos on the subject, some very good tips as to method using sanding sticks/sandpaper and preventing round over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOgJZHhq-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFKgzN5BU64
The inner rim, I've done it, just go easy. It won't be perfectly round, but you can ease the "kinks". Re-staining, NO it doesn't need it. Myself, I much prefer keeping the original finish. You can get a long way by polishing by hand with thr higher grades of micromesh, and hand buffing with a microfiber cloth.
:)

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you Dave.

I agree about the staining.

I absolutely went too aggressive with the micromesh on that stem and now, it kinda breaks my heart.

This is the first Bulldog I have worked on and I clearly ignored the sharp lines needed for the visual impact of the stem/pipe. I will not make that mistake again!
Don

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
You can fix the photos with photoshop, but the corners not so much in real life.
I am not looking to deceive anyone, also working in the history business I never alter a photograph to depart from reality.

I do however, appreciate the constructive criticism.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.