PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
So, after a bit of research, I have set my sights on picking up a Haymarket era Loewe (L.&Co.). Right now I'm in the research phase and I ran across a pipe marked Haymarket over London Made and on the other side, Made by over Loewe and 2 numbers. It's also got the Made in England round stamp on the bottom of the shank. I found nomenclature info on pipedia but no dating, line info or anything else. I also have researched the Cake and Dottle dating guide but it only has one vague mention. Pipedia has nothing. Does anybody have the lowdown on this type of Loewe? Here's Pipephil's pic of the nomenclature type.
haymarket1b.jpg

Thanks for any help you might have.

Aug 1, 2012
Nice looking pipe. I'm finding out there's not a lot of info on Loewe pipes out there and many lines/designations have no info at all. Oh well, the hunt for information continues. :puffpipe:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Capt: check with Mike (CakeandDottle) over on the SmokersForums, he is the Lowe expert. From what I've read on his posts about Loewe the Haymarket era pipes are the most desirable. Here are some Loewe tidbits Mike passed to me. Your two-digit pipe shape is consistent with a Haymarket pipe.
Haymarket era pipes do not have three digit shape

numbers.

Will have L&Co on right side of shank, or underneath

on blasts.

Will have Loewe London W on left side of shank.

Will have L&Co stamped on right side of stem.

Can have Original, Centurion or Old English stamped

under the L&Co.

Can have Extra Grain or Special Grain stamped on

underside of shank, along with Made in England

encircled.

Can have straight or beveled rims.

Will have a "feel" to them that let's you know you're

holding a pipe that is way above average, even by

London made standards. Grain is generally even better

than Comoy's equivalent grades.

Will have substantial looking and feeling stem work.

Will not have fills.
Mike has his own webpage, one an article on dating Loewe pipes:

http://cakeanddottle.com/pipe-rack/guides/73-dating-loewe-pipes
He'd be delighted to hear from you I believe.

Aug 1, 2012
Crap nsfisher, that is a beautiful set of Loewe pipes. A set like that with silver mounts went on the 'Bay for over a $1300 USD so I'm pretty sure knowing you that you got a fantastic deal.
Thanks Al, I contacted him on his blog today but I will go to SF and register if I need to.

Aug 1, 2012
Update: Thanks Al. He got back to me and it does seem to be a Haymarket era second. I will go see if she'll hold it for me for a couple weeks.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Crap nsfisher, that is a beautiful set of Loewe pipes. A set like that with silver mounts went on the 'Bay for over a $1300 USD so I'm pretty sure knowing you that you got a fantastic deal.
You are right cap. They were included in with 4 other pipes I got at the same time and I paid $60.00 for the lot. I have been offered $500.00 for the set of Loewes, case included but I shall keep them.

Reactions: Western Isles
Aug 1, 2012
Thank you Al, I appreciate it. She'll hold it for me and I can get it at the beginning of the month.
Nsfisher, I bow to the master on this one. That was a score of a lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.